Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

15" Cragers arrived = arghh, the calipers rub

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15" Cragers arrived = arghh, the calipers rub

So I read all of the threads on the topic and concluded that I'd give the 15" Crager soft 8's with 4" BS a shot... Fast forward.. the packages arrived, I tore into the boxes, took off a front wheel and put on a Soft 8 to check the fit... Oh S&%$t!!! the inside of the wheel rubs on the brake caliper...

So now what??

Do I bite the bullet and pay to return them for a set of 16"?

I only need about an 1/8th of an inch clearance, do I use a thin set of wheel spacers?

or

Do I dare grind the calipers a bit like some of the others on this thread?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

If it is only 1/8", then what are you going to hurt grinding down the caliper? You could always put a thin spacer on it, but you don't need to. I'd grind them. Remember, tires cost more at 16" too.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't assume the 16" wheel will take care of the problem. I just put 16" Soft 8's on mine (5" BS) and they rubbed slightly too, despite what others have experienced. I left the tire shop without my new wheels and tires, but went back after a very light touch with the grinder along the outside edge of the calipers.

Last edited by Roxster; 02-10-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Grind it. Tires cost so much less when wrapped around a 15 in rim
Old 01-15-2009, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

try a different wheel, my buddy had the same problem so he grabbed a different wheel and it didn't rub at all. Out of his 5 he was able to find 2 that didn't rub on the fronts. Each wheel is a little different.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 16's cleared, but I was planning on throwing on 1.5" spacers anyway. I wouldn't grind my calipers. Jeep's difficult enough to get items warrantied, you get brake failure of any kind and they see that....
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same issue with my 15x8 soft 8's. I didn't grind, although it wouldn't have hurt anything. I used pretty much the thinest spacer I could get from Summit and haven't looked back. I've had them on the Jeep for about 30,000 miles.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

I'm running spacers and love the look... the wheels on the Jeep should have been offset to the edges of the fenders, stock, IMO.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
Grind. It is no big deal and very easy.

I had to grind a little off my front calipers to clear the 15x8 Cragar Soft 8 wheels with 4" backspacing.

I used my daughter's sidewalk chalk to cover the areas identified in the above picture. Then, I would put the wheel on with 2 lug nuts moderately tightened so I could turn the wheel and listen for rubbing. Then, I would remove the wheel and see where the chalk had been rubbed off. I ground a little material off those areas, re-applied the chalk, and repeat. After repeating a second time, I had elminated all the scraping/rubbing on the drivers's side. The process was the same for the passenger's side.

After I finished, I painted the areas I ground with some grey anti-rust primer paint.

Hod rod builders have been grinding calipers for years. I have not heard of one problem here or on any other forum for those who had to do a little grinding to make 15" Cragar Soft 8s with 4" backspacing fit.

Here are the same specs wheels you have on my rig:

It seems a lot of guys went the 'grind" route and are happy. I must say, prior to posting this last night I would have thought it was nuts to grind down the calipers but the feeback I am getting is that it is "no big deal".. So what did you use to grind them? I don't happen to have a belt grinder in my arsenal of tools - will one of those drill grinder bits work?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thantos
try a different wheel, my buddy had the same problem so he grabbed a different wheel and it didn't rub at all. Out of his 5 he was able to find 2 that didn't rub on the fronts. Each wheel is a little different.
I'll for sure give this a shot before I try any other options. Thanks for the tip...

Quick Reply: 15" Cragers arrived = arghh, the calipers rub