Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

'12 Unlimited Sport Build

Old 01-15-2014, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 Unlimited Sport Build

So after researching and annoying multiple people from the Minnesota Ramble On thread for the last several months i think i have a skeletal outline for my build:

1st: Shrockworks Sliders
2nd: Diff Covers (still juggling brands)

**The following im planning on getting over the next year and will probably implement them at around the same time:

3rd: 35" Duratracs x 5. Not going to be putting them on right away
4th: 1.5" spacers
5th: 5.13 gears
6th: Driveshaft
7th: Gussets (possiby go all out with Artec's front axle armor...)
8th: 2-2.5" lift***

OK so background and wheeling info. I have been wheeling in this rig a grand total of 1 time. and have been once before in an older tj years ago. So little to no experience wheeling. I'm not looking to do excessive rock crawling but would like to be able to negotiate my way over moderate sized ones along the trail. Most of my wheeling will be done in Gilbert MN. nice red iron mud there . This is definitely a DD.

What i already have is the Smittybilt front and rear src bumpers and smittybilt xrc 8. I know that company has a bad rap here but so far in my experience (i know thats no saying much) i am still happy with what i bought. I am also planning on trimming my fenders when i put on the 35's.

Ok well i think that sums it up, i'll be posting pictures as i progress. i will be buying the shrockworks next month most likely; meaning i'll get them around spring time i suppose. hope you enjoy the thread.

***ok heres's a question that may or may not explode this thread: i've read the thread about how once you get a lift Chrysler has to prove that it caused a certain part to break before they can void the warranty, i've also spoken to the local dealership and they confirmed this and went further and said that the only lift that would be under warranty is the MOPAR lift and they have to do it. (for a ridiculous amount of money when compared to other 2.5" lifts). Has anyone actually gone this route and not had buyers remorse for getting shafted financially? or had them void anyways?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kdubflint
So after researching and annoying multiple people from the Minnesota Ramble On thread for the last several months i think i have a skeletal outline for my build: 1st: Shrockworks Sliders 2nd: Diff Covers (still juggling brands) **The following im planning on getting over the next year and will probably implement them at around the same time: 3rd: 35" Duratracs x 5. Not going to be putting them on right away 4th: 1.5" spacers 5th: 5.13 gears 6th: Driveshaft 7th: Gussets (possiby go all out with Artec's front axle armor...) 8th: 2-2.5" lift*** OK so background and wheeling info. I have been wheeling in this rig a grand total of 1 time. and have been once before in an older tj years ago. So little to no experience wheeling. I'm not looking to do excessive rock crawling but would like to be able to negotiate my way over moderate sized ones along the trail. Most of my wheeling will be done in Gilbert MN. nice red iron mud there . This is definitely a DD. What i already have is the Smittybilt front and rear src bumpers and smittybilt xrc 8. I know that company has a bad rap here but so far in my experience (i know thats no saying much) i am still happy with what i bought. I am also planning on trimming my fenders when i put on the 35's. Ok well i think that sums it up, i'll be posting pictures as i progress. i will be buying the shrockworks next month most likely; meaning i'll get them around spring time i suppose. hope you enjoy the thread. ***ok heres's a question that may or may not explode this thread: i've read the thread about how once you get a lift Chrysler has to prove that it caused a certain part to break before they can void the warranty, i've also spoken to the local dealership and they confirmed this and went further and said that the only lift that would be under warranty is the MOPAR lift and they have to do it. (for a ridiculous amount of money when compared to other 2.5" lifts). Has anyone actually gone this route and not had buyers remorse for getting shafted financially? or had them void anyways?
sounds like a solid build and yes ive heard the same on warranty's and have been wondering the same cus plan to move from my 2009 to a 2014 but not sure due to the warranty part

2009 jeep jk sport 2 door 6 speed standard stock 3.73 gears
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kdubflint
1st: Shrockworks Sliders
2nd: Diff Covers
3rd: 35" Duratracs x 5.
4th: 1.5" spacers
5th: 5.13 gears
6th: Driveshaft
7th: Gussets
8th: 2-2.5" lift***
***ok heres's a question that may or may not explode this thread: i've read the thread about how once you get a lift Chrysler has to prove that it caused a certain part to break before they can void the warranty, i've also spoken to the local dealership and they confirmed this and went further and said that the only lift that would be under warranty is the MOPAR lift and they have to do it. Has anyone actually gone this route and not had buyers remorse for getting shafted financially? or had them void anyways?
In my opinion I'd armor-up first, revised list as follows:
1: Shrockworks Sliders
2: TeraFlex HD Diff Covers with LubeLockers
3: Axle Gussets with F&R LCA Skids, EVO Protek Skid System
4: 4.10/4.56 Gears
5: Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers
6: AEV XT 2.5" Lift
7: 35" Duratrac's
8: (No need for a new driveshaft with 2.5" lift)

5.13 gears are way to steep if this is your DD with the new 3.6 Pentastar and only 35's. If you were rock crawling with 37's, sure. Also, a new driveshaft isn't needed unless you're over 3" of lift. Save your money and spend it on armor. A stock Jeep is a very capable vehicle, it just hurts a bit when hitting rocks or boulders without any undercarriage protection.

Chrysler does have to prove the lift caused the issue for a failed part. It's up to each dealer to only warranty a certain lift. All lifts will void your warranty, even the "Mopar" (TeraFlex) lifts. Pick your dealer wisely, ask is they are mod-friendly and go from there.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
In my opinion I'd armor-up first, revised list as follows:
1: Shrockworks Sliders
2: TeraFlex HD Diff Covers with LubeLockers
3: Axle Gussets with F&R LCA Skids, EVO Protek Skid System
4: 4.10/4.56 Gears
5: Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers
6: AEV XT 2.5" Lift
7: 35" Duratrac's
8: (No need for a new driveshaft with 2.5" lift)
Roger that, i was planning on kinda stock piling all my goodies after step two on my orig. list, but this makes sense too. thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
5.13 gears are way to steep if this is your DD with the new 3.6 Pentastar and only 35's. If you were rock crawling with 37's, sure. Also, a new driveshaft isn't needed unless you're over 3" of lift. Save your money and spend it on armor. A stock Jeep is a very capable vehicle, it just hurts a bit when hitting rocks or boulders without any undercarriage protection.

Chrysler does have to prove the lift caused the issue for a failed part. It's up to each dealer to only warranty a certain lift. All lifts will void your warranty, even the "Mopar" (TeraFlex) lifts. Pick your dealer wisely, ask is they are mod-friendly and go from there.

A couple of other people have said the same thing about 5.13's and instead suggested either the 4.56 or 4.88's, i'll have to look into it more. I was going off of the chart from the FAQ Sticky. Good to know about all lifts voiding the warranty. i guess i'll have to go in and talk to them about it. ty

Quick Reply: '12 Unlimited Sport Build