Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

12" EvoLever & Front coils 40 tires

Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" EvoLever & Front coils 40 tires

Just bought a new set of 40" tires the front tires are rubbing on the frame and the back tire have very little clearance. I am going to need to do some cutting in the back and run a set of wheel spacers, has anyone run this combo with success?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Not cool

Chris, first let me say that your new suspension sucks and you should have paid for something better.....

Now that I have said that, yes you can run spacers. I believe Eddie ran them on Moby for a while when he did the ProRock 60 front and before he did the ProRock 60 in the back. This way the JK had the same track width. As far as the cutting goes, YES, you should only be cutting sheet metal. On my rear wheel wells I had to trim both the front and the rear lower pinch seams about 4" of material minimum. Pretty easy though with a reciprocating saw. I know you can trim the lower pinch seam in the wheel wells for the tires too, right where the rocksliders start. Basically it is trial and error sort of thing.

What spacer bolt pattern are you going to run, 5x5 to 5x5 pattern, or 5x5 to 5x5 1/2, or something else?? I know you run the WE wheels, are you upgrading?

Last edited by GCM 2; 12-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default more is better

Originally Posted by pete156
You'll have to give us a little more info,

Suspension?
Wheel offset?
Tire width?
Steering?
Axles?

You"ll have to cut rock rails and body pinch points, no doubt.
Suspension evo coil front 12"evolever rear
Walker evens wheel offset 4.5
Tire 13.5
Steering stock
Axles d44
Pete any advice would be terrific. Chris
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default haha funny guy

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Chris, first let me say that your new suspension sucks and you should have paid for something better.....

Now that I have said that, yes you can run spacers. I believe Eddie ran them on Moby for a while when he did the ProRock 60 front and before he did the ProRock 60 in the back. This way the JK had the same track width. As far as the cutting goes, YES, you should only be cutting sheet metal. On my rear wheel wells I had to trim both the front and the rear lower pinch seams about 4" of material minimum. Pretty easy though with a reciprocating saw. I know you can trim the lower pinch seam in the wheel wells for the tires too, right where the rocksliders start. Basically it is trial and error sort of thing.

What spacer bolt pattern are you going to run, 5x5 to 5x5 pattern, or 5x5 to 5x5 1/2, or something else?? I know you run the WE wheels, are you upgrading?
Greg
Im going to stay stock with my Bolt pattern for now until i upgrade to the prorock 60 so 5x5 and the wheels are the same WE as lasr September. Wher you there a lunch one day when i was cutting way on my rig and Jesse said to Nester" that there nothing betterthan an owner chopping his rig on the trail" lol. I guess i could have gone with 4 hockey pucks like you for a suspension but they are harder to find in Western Canada than Phoenix ..lol
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by clarsen
Greg
Im going to stay stock with my Bolt pattern for now until i upgrade to the prorock 60 so 5x5 and the wheels are the same WE as lasr September. Wher you there a lunch one day when i was cutting way on my rig and Jesse said to Nester" that there nothing betterthan an owner chopping his rig on the trail" lol. I guess i could have gone with 4 hockey pucks like you for a suspension but they are harder to find in Western Canada than Phoenix ..lol
Haha! At least my hockey pucks are EVO spec'd I remember your day of cutting JK stuff on the trail, always a good thing when your fix was better than good enough to wheel the rest of the week. The reason I asked about the spacers is that I have some brand new Spidertrax 5x5 to 5x5.5. I had bought them to run my 40"s and Walkers Evans until my ProRocks came in. I only had the spacers on long enough to get to Discount Tire to have the tire/wheel combo balanced, then I pulled the set up off and just drove to Mel's shop on my original wheels and 35'' tires (with the 40"s in the back of the jeep).

Glad your rig is getting even more built up than before!! Blame it on the JKX!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rubbing

Haha! At least my hockey pucks are EVO spec'd I remember your day of cutting JK stuff on the trail, always a good thing when your fix was better than good enough to wheel the rest of the week. The reason I asked about the spacers is that I have some brand new Spidertrax 5x5 to 5x5.5. I had bought them to run my 40"s and Walkers Evans until my ProRocks came in. I only had the spacers on long enough to get to Discount Tire to have the tire/wheel combo balanced, then I pulled the set up off and just drove to Mel's shop on my original wheels and 35'' tires (with the 40"s in the back of the jeep).

Glad your rig is getting even more built up than before!! Blame it on the JKX!
Greg
Even with the wheel spacers my front wheels still hit the frame did that happen to you? Which coils do you have 12" or 14” stroke? I am wondering if I can adjust the ride height enough with my 12” coils to allow me to run 40’s or will I need to order the 14” coils? I am not sure originally why when Andrew at Off Road asked me which coils I wanted why I went with 12 and not 14 bad move on my part.
On a different note I am guessing you have not seen the JKX11video yet? I have a second copy that I could mail to you if you wanted and if it is possible? If so please send me the mailing information. As always my friend thanks for the help and thanks for doing what you do we all sleep better at night because of people like yourself.
Chris
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Greg
Even with the wheel spacers my front wheels still hit the frame did that happen to you? Which coils do you have 12" or 14” stroke? I am wondering if I can adjust the ride height enough with my 12” coils to allow me to run 40’s or will I need to order the 14” coils? I am not sure originally why when Andrew at Off Road asked me which coils I wanted why I went with 12 and not 14 bad move on my part.
On a different note I am guessing you have not seen the JKX11video yet? I have a second copy that I could mail to you if you wanted and if it is possible? If so please send me the mailing information. As always my friend thanks for the help and thanks for doing what you do we all sleep better at night because of people like yourself.
Chris
Chris, I have the 12" DTD system front and rear, Mel and I decided it was best due to my parking height limitations in my garage at home(83" max and my windshield height with the DTD is at 81", but I could adjust much higher if I had room, but I like it low). My suspension and full width ProRock 60's were all installed at one time. My steering stops were adjusted slightly to prevent rub at full right turn lock. other than that, no rubbing ever. By the way my Walker Evans are the typical 17x8, but with a 3.75" backspacing. During my build up I had read a post by WoL on Moby and he stated that he wished he had gone with less backspacing, so I went off of that and chose the minimum Walker Evans offered.

No I have not seen JKX11, however my wife has mine in the mail on its way to me. But I certainly appreciate your offer my friend!! Thanks

G
Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default over the hump

Chris, I have the 12" DTD system front and rear, Mel and I decided it was best due to my parking height limitations in my garage at home(83" max and my windshield height with the DTD is at 81", but I could adjust much higher if I had room, but I like it low). My suspension and full width ProRock 60's were all installed at one time. My steering stops were adjusted slightly to prevent rub at full right turn lock. other than that, no rubbing ever. By the way my Walker Evans are the typical 17x8, but with a 3.75" backspacing. During my build up I had read a post by WoL on Moby and he stated that he wished he had gone with less backspacing, so I went off of that and chose the minimum Walker Evans offered.

No I have not seen JKX11, however my wife has mine in the mail on its way to me. But I certainly appreciate your offer my friend!! Thanks

G
Greg
I am making slow but steady progress cutting in the rear continues, I’ve got the height adjusted as high as I would want to go should be on the road tomorrow. I'll put up a couple pictures when its done. All the best.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Done

Finally here they are
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	405686_330401533645154_100000259308971_1231597_1503744548_n.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	256251   Click image for larger version

Name:	403368_330401126978528_100000259308971_1231595_1705170779_n.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	256252   Click image for larger version

Name:	397120_330401143645193_100000259308971_1231596_184024955_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	256253  
Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Nicely done

Finally here they are
Well now.......that is just slightly on the better side of AWESOME!! Congrats buddy, glad the JK is up and ready to wheel again.

Quick Reply: 12" EvoLever & Front coils 40 tires