Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

12.5" Wide Detachable Mud Flaps...

Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Feasterdef
What state are u in. I'm in Arizona and the law says that on "trucks" u have to have mud flaps that cover the tires that stick out past the fenders. If u look at your registration a jeep wrangler is classified as a station wagon and since the law can't hold u to the same law as "trucks". A nice little loop hole.
Research unfolds... Law is not specific to "trucks" and says "all vehicles"

Splashguards required
48 Every motor vehicle and every trailer, except a farm trailer, shall, when upon a highway, be equipped with splashguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle; and the splashguard shall comply with the standards prescribed therefor under the regulations.

DEFINITIONS
2.1 Special Motor Vehicles * -passenger vehicles, trucks and buses which are intended for the use on public highways, the term "Special Motor Vehicle" shall include the following types:
…TYPE I Vehicles which retain their original body configuration with changes made to the steering, brakes, power train or suspension systems…

FENDERS

18.1 Every special motor vehicle shall be equipped with fenders and/or adequate body coverage designed to cover the entire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference shall be from at least 15 degrees in front to at least 90 degrees to the rear of the vertical center line at each wheel measured from the center of wheel rotation. At no time shall the fender or adequate body coverage contact the tire.

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
You could make it work. Talk to TF about a price for just the hardware no flaps. You could extend the bar by bolting on a longer bracket to cover the outer edge. Then purchase some bigger mud-flaps from NAPA or Canadian Tire in the style you want.
I may not need to do that, depending on how long the horizontal bar is... it's the outer side edge of tire tread that has to be covered. Anyone know how long that bar is?

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
How do these bolt to the vehicle... both front and back, please?

What is the length of the horizontal bar?

Hate the stripe down the middle, is there anything that matches color and texture to the factory flares?

http://www.teraflex.biz/mud-flaps.html#first <-------- Product description leaves me with too many questions. I saw this before I started this thread, TeraFlex, can you help with additional info as above? Looked for other brands because product description was incomplete to determine suitability.

Last edited by JeepBobWinnipeg; 02-08-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg
Research unfolds... Law is not specific to "trucks" and says "all vehicles"

Splashguards required
48 Every motor vehicle and every trailer, except a farm trailer, shall, when upon a highway, be equipped with splashguards or fenders adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle; and the splashguard shall comply with the standards prescribed therefor under the regulations.

DEFINITIONS
2.1 Special Motor Vehicles * -passenger vehicles, trucks and buses which are intended for the use on public highways, the term "Special Motor Vehicle" shall include the following types:
…TYPE I Vehicles which retain their original body configuration with changes made to the steering, brakes, power train or suspension systems…

FENDERS

18.1 Every special motor vehicle shall be equipped with fenders and/or adequate body coverage designed to cover the entire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference shall be from at least 15 degrees in front to at least 90 degrees to the rear of the vertical center line at each wheel measured from the center of wheel rotation. At no time shall the fender or adequate body coverage contact the tire.

I may not need to do that, depending on how long the horizontal bar is... it's the outer side edge of tire tread that has to be covered. Anyone know how long that bar is?

How do these bolt to the vehicle... both front and back, please?

What is the length of the horizontal bar?

Hate the stripe down the middle, is there anything that matches color and texture to the factory flares?

http://www.teraflex.biz/mud-flaps.html#first <-------- Product description leaves me with too many questions. I saw this before I started this thread, TeraFlex, can you help with additional info as above? Looked for other brands because product description was incomplete to determine suitability.
The bars are 18" wide. We do have a kit without mudflaps so you can add a set that are wider to them. The mounting brackets can be bolt on with self tappers or welded on. The mud flap kit is made to be a universal kit. #4808400 is the kit without mud flaps and retails for $86.99. I'm trying to get that loaded on our website.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been able to find pics of these with stock bumpers/flares. Anyone have any? Are they rear only, or will they work up front as well?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepBobWinnipeg
Yea, that set up does't cover the tire to it's outer edge... not legal here.

They would LOOK better if they were wider too.

It looks like someone who wears a shirt two sizes too small.
just so that it's clear, you are looking at 40x15.50's. if you are running a 12.50 wide tire, this would look very different.

Quick Reply: 12.5" Wide Detachable Mud Flaps...