Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

12/13/14 TWO door Sports only. What do you have to help me build mine?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by High-Tech Redneck
Yea I love the setup too. This had all the options that I wanted including the color the only downside was the 3.21 not 3.73 gears. But this has gotten me good mileage during my daily drives (40 miles to work) averaging 20.6 mpg (computed) over 6000 miles. So until I get aggressive on tires this works for me.
I removed the backseat and cable locked in a Yeti 65 Cooler, added a MORE dead pedal and a Tuffy hood lock for my first 3,700 miles getting 21.4 mpg calculated at the fill ups. So far everything works perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3311227609.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	506592  
Old 10-20-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

2013 2DR Sport 6Speed 3.21

I have built this on a bit of a budget ut it is working out fairly good so far

RC stubby hybrid bumper

XRC 8000lbs winch

Skyjacker 3.5" lift kit (springs, shocks and rear track bar relocation only)

AEV Drop brackets

G2 Diff Cover

DC FC-II's 33/12.50/17

M/T 17x9 Classic II's

RSE Rock Sliders

not installed but just ordered the ebay knock off of the XRC rear bumper carrier.

Hopefully 35's and a Full case locker in the rear for next year

Last edited by Crippler; 10-20-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

You folks have some nice stuff. I am grateful for the pics and advice so far. I am zeroing in on tires in the 35 inch variety so far. Now I am wondering about lifts and shocks. Anyone with experience with Rancho 9000's compared to Bilstein 5100?
I know the AEV lift comes with Bilsteins but I don't know if the ride will be rough with them. Once again no real huge rock ledges here in Wisconsin so the AEV geo brackets kind of make sense to me. I just don't want to lift it and find a load of other issues to contend with so the 2.5" lift is what I am looking at right now.
How is your ride onroad and offroad? Loaded question as everyone has their own opinion but share it if you would. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 AM
-

Originally Posted by Captain Ed
You folks have some nice stuff. I am grateful for the pics and advice so far. I am zeroing in on tires in the 35 inch variety so far. Now I am wondering about lifts and shocks. Anyone with experience with Rancho 9000's compared to Bilstein 5100?
I know the AEV lift comes with Bilsteins but I don't know if the ride will be rough with them. Once again no real huge rock ledges here in Wisconsin so the AEV geo brackets kind of make sense to me. I just don't want to lift it and find a load of other issues to contend with so the 2.5" lift is what I am looking at right now.
How is your ride onroad and offroad? Loaded question as everyone has their own opinion but share it if you would. Thanks.
Again, just something to keep in mind. If you go with the AEV 2.5" coil lift, you will most likely have steering issues to contend with. This lift will net you around 3.5" of lift. You may need a drag link flip kit to go along with the drop brackets, to keep everything close to stick handling.

As far as the Bilstein shocks... I really like them. They are on the firmer side. But I like that. Handles well around turns and especially offroad. The 9000's are good for adjustability purposes. But the rear shocks will get smashed on the smallest of rocks. The mount with the shock body down and you will find numerous pictures out there of guys who have smashed up their rear shocks. Doesn't take much with how they are mounted.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

If your going to to use the stock arms, the AEV brackets are going to be the only way for you to get your alignment back in spec.

As for the Ride on mine I find the basic skyjacker Hydro shocks a little on the stiff side. I will likely upgrade them at some point but not sure yet what i want. I have been considering the Rancho 9000's due to them being adjustable.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aaronstephen

Again, just something to keep in mind. If you go with the AEV 2.5" coil lift, you will most likely have steering issues to contend with. This lift will net you around 3.5" of lift. You may need a drag link flip kit to go along with the drop brackets, to keep everything close to stick handling.

Sent from my iPhone
I've read a lot about the AEV kit, and this is the first mention I've seen of steering issues with this lift. Can you elaborate?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 AM
-

Originally Posted by LoneWolf
I've read a lot about the AEV kit, and this is the first mention I've seen of steering issues with this lift. Can you elaborate?
at 3+" of lift you will need to address the geometry of your Trac bar and drag link. AEV has a drag link flip kit you could look into. It raises the mounting of the Trac bar and drag link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a aev 2.5 xt kit with beadlock pintlers and 285x70r17 (roughly 32.7 once once on the jeep and at 31psi cold road pressure ) stock gears (not a problem with the diesel)cooper stmaxx's, a northridge anti DW bolt kit, and most important a tool to recalibrate TPMS and Tire size. (aev procal)

It drives like a dream on and off road (lotsa mud and holes around here not many rocks)

Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Newbie

I've decided to go with the TF coil lift 2.5, TF monster track bar, Rancho Rs9000XL shocks (329 and 330), JKS disco, AEV procal, evo gussets, Rancho drop brackets and I am debating about the Northridge bolt kit because the drop bracket kit comes with new hardware and I think I will just go to Fastenal for the rest of the Gr 8's. Unsure if I need a TF rear Track bar? Will consider it but probably wait.

Leaning heavy to with duratracs but unsure what size right now. I know I want something in the 35 variety but I am still researching.

How does that sound?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Ed
I've decided to go with the TF coil lift 2.5, TF monster track bar, Rancho Rs9000XL shocks (329 and 330), JKS disco, AEV procal, evo gussets, Rancho drop brackets and I am debating about the Northridge bolt kit because the drop bracket kit comes with new hardware and I think I will just go to Fastenal for the rest of the Gr 8's. Unsure if I need a TF rear Track bar? Will consider it but probably wait.

Leaning heavy to with duratracs but unsure what size right now. I know I want something in the 35 variety but I am still researching.

How does that sound?
hi,

2.5" = you don't need to modify your track bars but need a relocation bracket in the rear...on another hand if you do one do both. IMHO rancho sucks big time (rebadged tenneco's), get bilsteins or if your budget allows fox or king.

Quick Reply: 12/13/14 TWO door Sports only. What do you have to help me build mine?