Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

12/13/14 TWO door Sports only. What do you have to help me build mine?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12/13/14 TWO door Sports only. What do you have to help me build mine?

OK stop right now if you are sick of lift and tire threads but I am looking for guys who lifted their 2 door 2013 sport. No rubis or 4 doors.
What worked for you? Mine is a dual purpose mostly DD but also offroad when I can.
2 door 3.6 automatic with the dreaded 3.21 ratio.

If you have this combo and modified your Jeep show me some pics and tell me what you did. Also tell me what you wouldn't do or still have to do to make it a decent driver. I am also planning on adding more weight to the back(bumper and tire holder). I have a winch and bumper adding to about 150# of fat Chinese kid (no offense intended, stuff is made in China) up front which cost me 1/2" already on 5000 mile stock springs. ACE sliders are on too.

I want to do it right and I want a 2.5" or less coil lift so I can stuff some 35" (I know not exactly 35) duratracs . What I would rather not have to replace drive shafts or regear right away but I know I will probably regear 4.56 next year. I want to get the lift bolted on before the Wisconsin salt trucks render the stock bolts seized and have to be gas axed off. I want to do this without getting crazy and replacing everything underneath right now. Just want a multi functional machine. Mostly trails with mud and some rock but nothing like you guys out west do. Mild wheeling to be sure right now but I would still like to hang if I had to.

So let me in on your secrets if you would be so kind. Thanks for reading this far. I am sure there are 10 million threads on this but I am looking for specifics on a certain year/type of Jeep. Which lift? Shocks specifics (bilstein 5100"s?Rancho's?) No pucks. New front trackbar? Geo Brackets? Just shooting out ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	UP Jeep Oct 2013 072.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	506039  

Last edited by Captain Ed; 10-19-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

First mod I did was to take out the back seat and put in the basement

Second mod isn't sexy, and you can't easily show it off to your friends and neighbors, but if you plan on going off road get skid plates
I chose the ones from EVO, I think it's called the protek, it's three separate plates that together protect your whole oil pan, transmission and exhaust crossover

Third mod was new tires, I went with the Goodyear Duratrac's in 285/75/17, roughly 33", next real step from there is the same tire in 315's, roughly 34"

Somewhere along the way ou will find out how bad the factory headlights are, there are tons of options and I think I tried all of them before I found the permanent fix for me, I forked over the extra money and get the truck lites, they are bright, street legal and put out a really nice white light and I've driven all around at night and not once did anyone flash me their high beams

Fourth would be lift, I didn't even really look at lifts until I had gone off road with a group of other more experienced folks

I chose the 3" bds lift with the upgrade to Fox shocks and the optional upgraded steering stabilizer

The picture below includes a whole bunch of other mods, Ace front and rear bumpers plus the tire carrier and a Warn winch

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine with 2.5" budget boost, 35" KM2's and cut flares. Also with 3.21's and a six speed. You won't use 6th gear anymore but it's not really that bad. You'll stall a lot offroad in the rocks tho. See my sig. All that was less than $3000 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-156020567.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	506046 https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vuqx1wkw2...2010.35.32.jpg

Last edited by kh202; 10-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds like you are on the right track. No reason to go over 3" with a two door. You def won't have to regear right away, provided you have reasonable performance expectations. Sounds to me like a budget boost would really be all you need. But the factor really is your budget. A quality coil lift kit will definitely feel more solid offroad and feel better on the road. But my budget boost has done everything I need it to do. I like running blue and black trails, so it does see a lot of action
Old 10-18-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Forgot to mention, I have 3:21's as well.

I about to do a big upgrade and regear in the process to 5:13's

But I went off road on a medium level of difficulty at least twice with nothing but my skid plates and factory tires

And I didn't get stuck and I had a great time

With just the mods I listed originally, plus Ace rock rails, I attended 2 Jeep jamborees and was totally capable on the level 4-5 trails

My point is you can do a hell of a lot with a stock Jeep

Everyone always rushes to do mods, I was no different but someone told me to get skids and do some off roading first and let your offroad experience guide you as to what you really need to upgrade

I also made a concerted effort to spend my money on performance items and not on aesthetics

One if the best things I did was to find a good off road shop, I got really lucky, there is a pretty big place less than 10 miles from my house

They have installed most of my mods

Matthew
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Leveling kit 33s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2280511285.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	506075

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1183683547.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	506076
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info so far. I wish I had 3 Jeeps. I would fit one with 33's one with 35's and one with 37's. Of course I would have to throw in a hemi somewhere but I am getting way off my topic.

I wish I had a good off road shop here. Nothing much here to cater to the 4x4 or Jeep in particular. I am going to also get involved with local guys when I get a chance.

Keep the pics and ideas coming.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain Ed
OK stop right now if you are sick of lift and tire threads but I am looking for guys who lifted their 2 door 2013 sport. No rubis or 4 doors. What worked for you? Mine is a dual purpose mostly DD but also offroad when I can. 2 door 3.6 automatic with the dreaded 3.21 ratio. If you have this combo and modified your Jeep show me some pics and tell me what you did. Also tell me what you wouldn't do or still have to do to make it a decent driver. I am also planning on adding more weight to the back(bumper and tire holder). I have a winch and bumper adding to about 150# of fat Chinese kid (no offense intended, stuff is made in China) up front which cost me 1/2" already on 5000 mile stock springs. ACE sliders are on too. I want to do it right and I want a 2.5" or less coil lift so I can stuff some 35" (I know not exactly 35) duratracs . What I would rather not have to replace drive shafts or regear right away but I know I will probably regear 4.56 next year. I want to get the lift bolted on before the Wisconsin salt trucks render the stock bolts seized and have to be gas axed off. I want to do this without getting crazy and replacing everything underneath right now. Just want a multi functional machine. Mostly trails with mud and some rock but nothing like you guys out west do. Mild wheeling to be sure right now but I would still like to hang if I had to. So let me in on your secrets if you would be so kind. Thanks for reading this far. I am sure there are 10 million threads on this but I am looking for specifics on a certain year/type of Jeep. Which lift? Shocks specifics (bilstein 5100"s?Rancho's?) No pucks. New front trackbar? Geo Brackets? Just shooting out ideas?
Do whatever it takes to regear at the same time when doing tires- it is a NEED not a want.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'12 sport with 3.21's. Added 2.5 BB lift with shock extensions and 285/75/17 grapplers, which are closer to a 34 than a 33. No aftermarket bumpers or anything like that because I don't really need them - and they'll force me to get a coil lift. I planned on getting front adjustable track bar but so far it's fine without it. I'll probably invest in some correction brackets and that about it. As far as the ride, it's about as comfortable as stock and even with the 3.21's I can chirp the tires. Not ideal for heavy trail driving, but definitely not as bad as everyone says.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TJJK
Do whatever it takes to regear at the same time when doing tires- it is a NEED not a want.
No.. It isn't

Quick Reply: 12/13/14 TWO door Sports only. What do you have to help me build mine?