Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

10a/X vented hood

Old 03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10a/X vented hood

To anyone to owns either a 10a or rubicon X or even just someone who purchased the hood and threw it on their JK. 2 questions for you.

1. Has anyone tried to make the vents actually functional?
2. What hood latches are you using? i heard rugged ridge sort of scratches the paint, and the rampage ones look like a little much

reason i'm asking i just recently purchased the hood and will be getting it painted Copperhead and installing within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for any info guys !!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

The vents are partially functional. There are holes, but I've heard of plenty opening up to be truly vented.

No knowledge of the latches for you, but whatever you use on standard hoods should work.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 10a. As far as vents, they have a small hole. Hood latches the day stars are tight but they work really well.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
The vents are partially functional. There are holes, but I've heard of plenty opening up to be truly vented.

No knowledge of the latches for you, but whatever you use on standard hoods should work.
the tiny holes that are in each vent are for draining rain....

Originally Posted by RubicAn11
I have a 10a. As far as vents, they have a small hole. Hood latches the day stars are tight but they work really well.
so just might as well stay with the stock latches then?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
the tiny holes that are in each vent are for draining rain....
so just might as well stay with the stock latches then?
Gotcha. I haven't had my hands on it yet, but I have heard of people opening the vents.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
the tiny holes that are in each vent are for draining rain.... so just might as well stay with the stock latches then?
I would not. The stock ones IMO are junk. They can snap or you get the good flutter or a big gust ( passing semi, strong winds) . You can take your hood spring out. That had not always worked for me. When I drive out of the valley, there can be high winds and I used to wonder if just maybe my latches would snap. Didn't want to find out. So got the day star ones for just over $20. No need to worry.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in same boat. Hood is getting painted and installed by Stomper Offroad this week. I went with the Drake latches. They are pricey, but look awesome on the X hood.

Good luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed the poison spyder hood louver. Personally i think it looks better than the 10a especially when considering $120 and some elbow grease to $800. Plus there is no doubt it is actually functional, you cant watch heat pour out and it looks awesome, maybe even will make a difference when wheeling this summer. Good luck on your choice though buddy.

Quick Reply: 10a/X vented hood