Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

1 3/4" toed out

Old 12-06-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update to the thread. With the tie rod as short as it can go I think I'm now toed in by 1/2". I'll double check when I can get another pair of hands to help. Since I was alone I kind of Mcgyver'd it by putting 2x4s along the wheels as straight as I could and measuring the distance between them. I'm not really going to trust that number though since if the boards are off even just a little it would skew the numbers. Also my drag link is now flipped but of course I broke the TRE getting it off so the nut can't be tightened down without the bolt spinning. I swear it's been one headache after the other getting this thing back on the road again.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Former Member

On the road?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

On a Synergy tie rod to get the most adjustment range be sure the non-adjustable TRE is screwed as far in as possible. That should give you plenty of adjustment to draw the toe into spec.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by FlameRed10
An update to the thread. With the tie rod as short as it can go I think I'm now toed in by 1/2". I'll double check when I can get another pair of hands to help. Since I was alone I kind of Mcgyver'd it by putting 2x4s along the wheels as straight as I could and measuring the distance between them. I'm not really going to trust that number though since if the boards are off even just a little it would skew the numbers. Also my drag link is now flipped but of course I broke the TRE getting it off so the nut can't be tightened down without the bolt spinning. I swear it's been one headache after the other getting this thing back on the road again.
Hold on you need to explain how you are measuring toe by yourself , because if I read what you posted above then you are not doing it right

You are supposed to take the measument from the center of the wheel , so If you didnt have the 2x4 in the center of the wheel then you will be off
Old 12-07-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SoK66
On a Synergy tie rod to get the most adjustment range be sure the non-adjustable TRE is screwed as far in as possible. That should give you plenty of adjustment to draw the toe into spec.
^^^ Do This. When doing the measurement, you need to measure from the same point on the front center of the tire. Mark that exact spot, and rotate the tires so that mark is pointing to the rear, 180°.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa, this is getting ridiculous. You need to go get an alignment. This is a time when saving a few dollars will cost a lot more in the end. You won't get it right in your driveway. The result will be screwing up your tire wear, burning through ball joints and tie rod ends, and a poor driving vehicle. I've tried many times to align the toe on my Jeep. I was never even close once it was on a rack. Proper procedure requires you crank the wheels from side to side on the ground, etc. Suck it up and take it somewhere or this will end in regret.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

I have the same Synergy tie rod. I recently swapped in Synergy's TREs and needed to reset the toe. I did it with a tape measure, using the inside of the sidewalls. Set at 3/32s toe in. I took it to an alignment shop to get a snapshot of the overall settings, spec for toe is .02 degrees, on the rack my settings measured .022. You can do it with a tape measure.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
I have the same Synergy tie rod. I recently swapped in Synergy's TREs and needed to reset the toe. I did it with a tape measure, using the inside of the sidewalls. Set at 3/32s toe in. I took it to an alignment shop to get a snapshot of the overall settings, spec for toe is .02 degrees, on the rack my settings measured .022. You can do it with a tape measure.
Hmm... Considering it's toe in, something isn't right. Should be a negative reading.

For every guy that gets lucky and gets it right in their driveway, 10 are off. We're taking +/- 1/8".

However, given your level of confidence, I'm sure you will PM the OP and provide him a warranty on his ball joints and tires so long as he sends you a picture of tape measure readings in his driveway?
Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Hold on you need to explain how you are measuring toe by yourself , because if I read what you posted above then you are not doing it right

You are supposed to take the measument from the center of the wheel , so If you didnt have the 2x4 in the center of the wheel then you will be off
I wasn't measuring from the center of the wheel. I just measured from the center and it is currently about 1/16 toed in.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Whoa, this is getting ridiculous. You need to go get an alignment. This is a time when saving a few dollars will cost a lot more in the end. You won't get it right in your driveway. The result will be screwing up your tire wear, burning through ball joints and tie rod ends, and a poor driving vehicle. I've tried many times to align the toe on my Jeep. I was never even close once it was on a rack. Proper procedure requires you crank the wheels from side to side on the ground, etc. Suck it up and take it somewhere or this will end in regret.
I will get it aligned once I'm done working on it. My concern was why it was so far toed out to begin with when the tie rod was almost as short as it could go making me wonder if I bent my axle or something. Trust me. I'm not trying to save any dollars here.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Hmm... Considering it's toe in, something isn't right. Should be a negative reading. For every guy that gets lucky and gets it right in their driveway, 10 are off. We're taking +/- 1/8". However, given your level of confidence, I'm sure you will PM the OP and provide him a warranty on his ball joints and tires so long as he sends you a picture of tape measure readings in his driveway?
Assuming the OP can read a tape measure he can set it himself and doesn't need a warranty from me or anyone else. A solid axle rig is pretty butthead simple to align, we're not setting up a Porsche 911 here. Numerous videos online to show him how.

BTW, toe in is NOT a negative number. FSM toe spec for JK is +.17 to +.23 degrees. That's about 1/16" to 1/8" toe in.

Last edited by SoK66; 12-07-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 1 3/4" toed out