Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

0W-20 Mobile 1

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that every time I took my jeep into the dealer for an oil change I would NOT have any engine knocking noise on start up and when I took it to my local quick oil change shop I would have the engine knocking noise when I first started the engine. I started using Mobile 1 5w20 and the Mobile 1 filter and still got the engine knocking noise. I went to the dealer and purchased three Mopar Oil Filters and still used the Mobile 1 5w20 oil and do not get any engine knocking noise. I looked in the manual and the only thing they say is to use a "high flow" oil filter. My opinion is that when you have metal parts in your engine making noise because they don't have enough oil at start up is bad and will shorten the life of your engine. So bottom line is that there are oil filters out there that allow the oil to drain out and you have to wait for the oil to get pumped back into your engine for lubrication. The Mopar filters work...don't know why but they work.

Mike
Old 05-17-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big D2
Two ways to get oil in your filter:

1. To fill it up as high as you can

2. Make the engine crank over without starting. To build oil pressure.

I would not use such a low viscosity engine oil. I know it's synthetic but you will notice a few things happen eventually. You will get more oil consumption, and you will get fuel resisdue earlier in you oil. It's just impossible to keep such thin oil from penetrating around the rings. The tolerances on these engines are not that tight.

If it was minus 30 then it might work, but I would stay with the same viscosity in synthetic.

x2 on everything he said.

I actually think the factory spec 5w-20 is probably border-line for those of us who live in warmer climates. I think the factory does it to help meet fuel consumption requirements.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mobil1 oil is top notch.
The Mobil1 filters are crap, in addition to being expensive.

Motorcraft filters work well and are cheap.
Stay very far away from Fram.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the post. Those tires are 33x12.50x16 mickey thompson baja claws. I changed the filter to fram extended guard Thursday night. Haven't heard no knock since then. I'm gonna run the 0W-20 for 3,000 miles and then go back to 5W-20. I don't think nothing is wrong with it, but I ain't gonna take no chances. Something is wrong with those mobil 1 oil filters. I don't know what it is, but they don't seem to work for our motors. I have never seen a bad oil filter before.

Quick Reply: 0W-20 Mobile 1