Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

09 JKU, Smittybilt Atlas front and rear bumpers. I want to mount a shovel, any tips?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 JKU, Smittybilt Atlas front and rear bumpers. I want to mount a shovel, any tips?

I work improving habitat with the Department of Fish & Wildlife and "The Mallard" gets me onto the Management Areas. On more than one occasion a shovel has came in very handy. I dont like keeping a muddy shovel in the interior and would prefer to mount it on the front bumper, rear bumper/spare tire carrier or even possibly on the hood. I am already carrying my Hi-lift Jack on the spare tire carrier. I would bet that a member of this group has mounted a shovel and can share their experience. THANKS!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have any pictures of your bumpers for reference? I'd imagine if you've got the bull bar like in the picture that you could do "quick fists" on it to hold a shovel. If you're satisfied with Smittybilt then you could look into their rack system that straps to the face of the tire. It would allow you to mount a shovel and other accessories there. I believe it's called the i-rack, intelligent rack or something like that. Alternatively, MorRyde sells a 'rack' that goes into the center of your spare and I'm sure it would be easy to mount a shovel there.
The following users liked this post:
The Old Gray Dog (11-20-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

I do have the bull bar and my winch is recessed into the bumper. I am not sure what quick fists are. I would prefer a direct mount versus something to strapped on. Trying to attach photos of the bumpers. Thanks

Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same shovel mounted to my rear bumper for 5+ years. Used a quickfist type connector. Screw a rubber piece into bumper or even hi-lift, place shovel in grip and close it tight.I think they make specific shovel mounts for hi-lifts now? Uses some of the openings for the shovel while hi-lift mounted on vehicle.

One suggestion? All metal shovel. It will really take a beating in the weather. Wood will deteriorate before your eyes.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I will look for a way to mount my shovel to the Hi-Lift. That's a great idea!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

I really liked the idea of quick fists and mounting to the Hi-Lift, so I did some surfing. Found this idea used by Krazy Beaver. I will give this a try. Thanks for the great idea!

Old 11-17-2018, 04:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking jeep !
Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, you should see here now after a week of deer hunting She is kaleidoscope of mud colors and patterns, not much green showing. Hope it rains!

Quick Reply: 09 JKU, Smittybilt Atlas front and rear bumpers. I want to mount a shovel, any tips?