Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

09 JK Didn't pass inspection/Superchip Arghh

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captainmorgan

look at the check engine light... if it blinks after a few seconds it's not ready.. if it stays on the entire time... it's ready to bring in for inspection.

We I have driven over 100 miles, on highway, city and back roads.. probably turned the jeep off 15 to 20 times... guess what... still blinks.

So... how long is it going to take the darn computer to make those diagnostics ready? Jesus..
FWIW My Jeep does the same thing when I turn the key to the ON position, engine light illuminates, blinks 3 - 4 times then stays illuminated until I start the engine, according to Chrysler this is absolutely normal.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

it just sucks you have to inspect a vehicle as new as yours.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

they're called readiness codes, and thats why you never put it back to stock right as you pull into the dealer. they can easily find out by checking those.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Key word in this thread is "readiness".
Key parameters are ignition on/off cycles, and meeting certain driving parameters.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default well

are u sure theres nothing wrong with anyting and u really do have a check engine light on
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mwebb
are u sure theres nothing wrong with anyting and u really do have a check engine light on
the check engine light goes off once you start the jeep. My service guy just stated that if I wanted a way to see if it was ready (code readiness)... you turn the key (but don't start the vehicle) check engine light comes on solid for about 10 to 15 sec.. then it blinks a few times.. then it stays solid. He stated once it stays solid the entire time it should be code ready for inspection.

Bottom line it's my fault. I should not have set it back to stock.. I should have just taken it in... it was only an oil change and a few minor fixes. Lesson learned. You read some posts on the forum and people say to always put it back to stock before taking it in to the dealer.

I have a big wopping 6, 750 miles on the jk, superchip programmer is set for 87 tune, tps set for 26lbs and 33.something for my 35 inch tires to get speedo correct.

Just a pain in the butt when you have an afternoon to get some quick vehicle "stuff" done and it turns into a song and dance.

But, if it takes this long once you turn it back to stock.. I'm still curious how long it really takes for the superchip tune to be fully activated. I'm not a fuel mapping gear-head... just curious.

Someone stated above it's more about how many times the key is cycled than how many miles ran... that is interesting as well..

maybe jpop can chime in... he is the guru on superchip
Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

They are called "drive cycles" and yes they are based on key cycles. Each manufacturer has different parameters for resetting ECM. The ECM has to read certain things before it will start to record the cycles and set the readyness parameters. One is that the engine must be below a certain temperature at start, so you cannot just turnthe engine off and restart and drive. I am not sure what the temp is for chrysler but if you drive it for about a week , it should set the readyness parameters and you should be good to go.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

do people flash back to stock for warranty reasons. i was under the impression that it would pass my inspection with tuner installed
Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captainmorgan
.. Note to self don't clear superchip program when you take it into the dealer... Unless someone on the board has a good reason to share with me.

The reason you clear the programmer back to stock when you take it to the Dealer is they may/will flash your computer for any updates and this will OVERWRITE your superchips programmer settings. You will be SOL to get the tune back unless you pay a fee to Superchips to download the same program settings that were overwritten.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your problem is it sounds like you took it to the dealer to do the inspection... here in VA I just go to the local mom and pop mechanic shop (haha that rhymed) and they never give me sh@# about anything.

Quick Reply: 09 JK Didn't pass inspection/Superchip Arghh