Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

09 JK Didn't pass inspection/Superchip Arghh

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 JK Didn't pass inspection/Superchip Arghh

Here is the deal. Took the jeep in this a.m. to get oil changed, back passenger side window lubed (squeaked) like nails on chalk board and also the lovely North Carolina State Inspection.

So before I went to do all this I plugged in my Superchip programmer and set everything back to stock except did not change tpms or tire size.

Dealership stated it did not pass inspection because of the following.

3 diagnostic monitors were not ready...

Catalyst
o2 sensor
Evap system.

So he asked me if I have had my battery out lately I said no.... he then tells me to go drive it for 30 or so miles and shut it off several times and then it should be ready to go. He said to tell if it is ready for inspection and if the monitors were ready... to do the following.

turn the key on but do not start the engine.

look at the check engine light... if it blinks after a few seconds it's not ready.. if it stays on the entire time... it's ready to bring in for inspection.

We I have driven over 100 miles, on highway, city and back roads.. probably turned the jeep off 15 to 20 times... guess what... still blinks.

So... how long is it going to take the darn computer to make those diagnostics ready? Jesus..

Also, this tells me that for those of you that have a Superchip programmer... it must take the computer more than 100 miles or so to get fully programed... could be wrong??

Bottom line... how many more miles do I have to drive???

Anyone else experience this? Also those that have Superchip do you set it back to stock when you take it into the dealership?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sounds like a PITA, I'm glad we don't have inspections in Oklahoma. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try disconnecting the battery for a bit and then reconnecting and driving.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

I just recently experienced the same exact thing in Washington state with my gf's Scion. If you have disconnected the battery, flashed it with superchips, or done any diagnostic work with the CPU it resets and runs an average of ~50miles to self-diagnose. When the computer is in this diagnostic mode the DMV/Emmisions department cannot pass (or fail) your vehicle.

Driving around for a day or two and accumulating some miles in diagnostic mode will put the computer back into a testable mode. You'll pass with flying colors.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runit3
Driving around for a day or two and accumulating some miles in diagnostic mode will put the computer back into a testable mode. You'll pass with flying colors.
Basically when they go to do the inspection, this is their way of making sure that you didn't clear all the intermitent trouble codes in the parking lot from your flaky O2 sensors right before you drove in.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had my inspection finalized and had no problems, even with the 93 Performance tune from my SC installed... Got it done at a Texaco quik lube place, 15 minutes.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Got my inspection with my SC program operating. Basicly, anytime you make a change to your computer you have to drive it a while before inspection. You can't just re-set it and go try and get it inspected. Usually a 100 miles will work. If not, do what was stated above, disconnect the battery for a few minutes and give it a try. Or, just go back next week sometime after a week or driving.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Which is faster... leave it alone and keep driving around until check engine light stops flashing... or disconnect battery for a few and then drive around...

I'm very impatient... which is faster....

So would you all agree that it's true.... that it takes a couple of tanks of gas for the superchip to fully be "installed".
Old 04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Disconnecting the battery will start the readiness tests all over again and until they complete, you will not pass inspection. That is exactly what happened(in the sense of readiness tests) by re-setting your tune.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Crap... I just unhooked battery for past 15 min. Well... wheels on the bus go round and round..

Drove 100 wasted miles today... looks like I get to do it again... Note to self don't clear superchip program when you take it into the dealer... Unless someone on the board has a good reason to share with me.

Quick Reply: 09 JK Didn't pass inspection/Superchip Arghh