Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

09 hood insulation... really needed????

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 hood insulation... really needed????

so i am pondering removing the hood insulator on my 09. my friend has an 08 and his did not come with it. its the black thing attached to underside of hood. who has these??? am i the only one that has one from factory?? and does anybody see a purpose except keeping engine heat in??
Old 08-11-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ
If it weighs anything it'll possibly help the hood from flapping around in the wind.

well to fix the hood flappin i got the tsb hood latches from mopar.. 12 bucks i think which pretty much fixed it.. i also took off the spring by the hood latch and now my hood is solid.. no movement! i tend not to go above 80 so its good till then.. and cant see a reason to go faster.. its not a top fuelly!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see the purpose in removing it..I've seen mustangs that have removed liner and it causes the paint to fade/cloud and eventually need a paint job.. Granted a mustang engine will produce more heat due to higher rpms etc but I could see it happening on a jeep easily on the trail
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

For those of us in the North it serves a purpose... helps keep the engine heat IN... much like block heaters being standard equipment up here. Kinda need those things for at least 5-6 months of the year.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

One of the few problems with the TJ was the single sheet metal hood that the heat of the engine would crack the paint...I'm hoping that by putting this as a heat shield the hood paint won't crack.

2nd thing years ago I was checking out an Explorer for the wife and the sales guy told me that black thing was a sort of fire blanket that the plastic tabs would melt and it would go down and sort of scuffle the fire in the engine....I got a couple issues with that explanation but who knows.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi

ok so ill leave it on!! ha ha... although i already have 4 dents in my hood from water goin over it... not sure why it did that considering i see alot of pics on here with water over hood.. my bad luck i guess.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Never seen any insulation under my hood ..???
Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dmhines
Never seen any insulation under my hood ..???

see i am not crazy!!! maybe i have a special model rubi!! haha
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

I had one but after a couple of trips to the local mud hole it eventually "fell" off while hosing the engine bay down. So far no issues with it not being there.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is an 08 and it came with it, I would just leave it in, maybe if yours didn't come with it you would be going to the dealer to buy one

Quick Reply: 09 hood insulation... really needed????