Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

08 jk ticking issue

Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 jk ticking issue

hey all new here hope this is right area to post this

I have a 2008 jeep wrangler Rubicon . I was laid up with a gout attack for 8 months trying new medication. finally up and going again and went did new plugs oil filter and wires. oil is 5-30 synthetic royal purple with k&n filter. went for a drive and noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine(speeds up with higher rpms). the weird thing is tho when I'm doin 70 down freeway I don't have the ticking sound at least I don't hear it . I only have it at idle and on accell/decell from what I can tell

I don't see a crack in the exhaust manifold tried a stethoscope and I cant pinpoint where its coming from sounds same all around. I cant think of anything elts to check.

I was thinking maybe go back to stock oil 5-20 see if it helps I have ben running 5-30 for 30k miles tho.

any input is welcome.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Newbie

Noticed i ben burning threw oil abit and with googles help i came up with spun rod bearing as the issue. Not sure if thats true but best thing i can come up with atm.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Exhaust leak or lifter issue will be a "tick". If it's a bearing than you'll have a "knock". The burning oil is a jeep thing. I burned oil also when using royal purple. Switched to another brand and weight and no more burning.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Woody651
Exhaust leak or lifter issue will be a "tick". If it's a bearing than you'll have a "knock". The burning oil is a jeep thing. I burned oil also when using royal purple. Switched to another brand and weight and no more burning.

Ive gone threw a few jeeps this is my 6th one in 20 years never burnd threw oil like this.i did find out my engine was made in mexico threw the dealer this morning -_-'. I wonder what it cost to get a 3.6 swaped in at a shop. with my disibility i cant do work like that anymore. i dont care about a hemi or a ls. if i wanted more power ide just add a SC to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdR30oIsU1E i will check the exaust headers l8r see what i can see. but wouldent that make the sound more from one side or another? the ticking i hear comes from all around even with a stehtascope i cannot find it. anyhow guna go try new oil/filter and check exaust manifold.

ty for the responce. they allways give me more to do

Im 3 quarts low on oil after a week..*edit

Last edited by Lodemite; 02-13-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Haw you replaced you pcv valve?
Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robj
Haw you replaced you pcv valve?
That is a awsome idea i foregot all about that. Havent replaced that in a few years. Ill do that hopefully tomarow with the new oil n filter

Hope it works i need to get it done so i can sell\trade . need a auto and 4 door would be nice lol. Too bad of feet and knes and too many kids now lol -_-'

Last edited by Lodemite; 02-13-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

well i replaced the egr valve and did a motor flush and marvel mystery oil with new oil and filter. i cannot pinpoint the knock but its still there and got WAY worse with a squeel but that squeel would just be a water pump bearing.its gota be a rod. all i can come up with... but i did learn that someone losend my filter. last week it was tight today it was lose with pinch marks... i know who did it but thats a long story i dont need to get into. i couldent get photobucket to load it so i had to add to facebook. https://www.facebook.com/Rockpirate6...2170754126749/ thats the sound its makeing now witch is 10X worse with new oil and mmo after a flush -_-'

i know there are a couple threads talking about it but does anyone actualy get a estimate on what it would cost to do a 3.6 swap? im not guna do a ls or hemi. i did think about it but 30 grand for a hemi conversion is BS and has issues. and with what ive seen and driven at dealer i like the 3.6 ... im going to fix it or sell it cheap and probibly get 2016 Jeep Wrangler Auburn CA 2385 :: NORCAL MOTOR COMPANY | Used Diesel Trucks | Auburn | Sacramento | Reno :: Used Diesel Trucks Auburn CA,Used Lifted Trucks Sacramento CA CA,Pre-Owned Autos Reno CA,95603,Previously Owned Lifted Off Road Trucks Bay its alittle pricy but
Old 02-15-2016, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Was driveing it to shop cuz my ford is outa comission till my altinator shows up. Got 1 mile away from the shop and bam oil light kicked up and engine lost all power and wont turn over...no holes in block still full of oil . but engine is prety much done... Now the fun begins. Finding new motor and swaping in lol . my wife wants me to put my 5.4 outa my ford i to it and trade her for her yj lol.....
Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks.. my wifes JK burns a lot of oil and i can hear pinging under acceleration.. so im guessing its a matter of time.. my buddy just replaced his 3.8 with a motor from these guys Engine Stroker Kits he is happy and says the power is better than the old 3.8 i think he spent around 5k total .. i know someone replaced a 3.8 with a 3.6 but the issue was the computer / wiring would have to be replaced also because it different in the 12+ jks. good luck hopefully you can swap it out for something better.. ill be following to see what you come up with

Quick Reply: 08 jk ticking issue