Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

'08 JK Factory Stereo install in '98 TJ

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 JK Factory Stereo install in '98 TJ

Hey everyone,

I need some help answering a few questions….I’ve had my JK for over a year now and two weeks after I bought it I changed out the original stereo for the MyGig. I still have the original stereo and was wondering if I can out it in a 98 TJ???? I’m sure there might be a little modification but can it be done??? That's what I want to know...can it be done? and how?

Thanks

MODS....please move this thread if needed
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

No one ...:(
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thed problem is that the stereo does not have just a on/off switch. It uses the can-bus system. When you press the power button a chain of info goes to a computer and back to the radio. that tells it to power up. You would either need to take apart the radio to somehow rewire it to just turn on and off, or make some type of computer box to emulate the can-bus system. It is beyond my level of abitlity.

Oh... don't forget the radio size is larger than a double din. The factory TJ has a single Din size. I put a double din in my TJ (eclipse AVN5435) but I had to do lots of hacking and reshaped the trim ring with fiberglass. It is going to take a serious skill set to pull off getting that wider JK radio in there. It is twice as tall and a little wider. If you wanted to use a mygig you would need to design and program some type of computer box to adapt the can-bus info to vehicle speed sensor (VSS).

Good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Well thanks guys. I'm not going to do this after all. Too much work involved to make it work...not worth it.

Anybody interested in a Factory stereo...I have one for sale...lol
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

it can be done. if you find out what the wires on the tj mean (which colors are right front pos/neg, left front pos/neg, etc.) and find someone on here who knows what the jk radio harness wires mean (i had it written down but lost it) then you can cut off the radio harness on both the tj and jk radio and match up the wires. some annoying research work but if you really want that radio in then its worth it.

Quick Reply: '08 JK Factory Stereo install in '98 TJ