Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

08 4dr Jk Zone 3" 0r 4" lift

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 4dr Jk Zone 3" 0r 4" lift

My question is how long can I get away with running a 4" lift on a 4dr auto on the street ? I know if I decide to off road it will tear the boot on the front drive shaft and I will need to replace. But if I put a 4" lift and keep in on the street for say 6 months to a year until I get a new front shaft will I be ok ?

If not how about the 3" lift ?

also from what I understand my stock X with stock suspension already sits ~1lower than a Rubi or X with tow package, if that is correct will a 4" lift on my Jeep be more in tune with a 3" lift on a Rubi ?

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of them and could really use your guys Knowledge before I do !

Much Thanks,
Goblin
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

at 3"-4" of lift, you really should consider getting a more complete kit that this or at the very least, add a few extra parts to it.

for a 3" lift, you really should get a set of adjustable lower control arms up front so that you can add more positive caster and add an adjustable front track bar to recenter your axles. if you have a 2-door, you really should pick up a set of adjustable rear upper arms as well as you will need to get a new drive shaft sooner than later and the arms will allow you to set your pinion angle. at 4" of lift, you really should get a dropped pitman arm and track bar relocation bracket to go with the already recommended adjustable track bar.

please note that ALL these recommendation are made to improve your ON ROAD handling and performance. the kits you are looking at are good starter kits and they are cheap because they don't include components that i would recommend as a bare minimum for the respective heights.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the info !

I do not plan to use the cam bolts, I will use lower adj controll arms. the kit comes with the items listed below, adj front track bar is in the kit. My main question though remains can i get away with a 4" lift for street use with out replacing my front drive shaft ? or should I step down to a 3" lift and call it a day ? again 08 4dr auto

Coil springs designed to give a full 4" of lift while maintaining a factory style ride. Our coils are 2door/4door specific, so be sure to select the proper application.

A front adjustable track bar is included to properly center the front axle
Cam washers are included to correct front end alignment

Rear extended sway bar links are included. These links come with urethane bushings to increase performance and reduce body roll. The factory rear links are then used in the front.

A rear track bar relocation system is included to perfectly center the axle under your JK
2" bump stop extensions are included to protect your vehicle while still increasing wheel travel

Brake line relocation brackets are supplied to allow for the dramatic increase in wheel travel

New Zone front and rear shocks are included that are valved specifically for your JK
Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Goblin
I do not plan to use the cam bolts, I will use lower adj controll arms. the kit comes with the items listed below, adj front track bar is in the kit. My main question though remains can i get away with a 4" lift for street use with out replacing my front drive shaft ? or should I step down to a 3" lift and call it a day ? again 08 4dr auto

Coil springs designed to give a full 4" of lift while maintaining a factory style ride. Our coils are 2door/4door specific, so be sure to select the proper application.

A front adjustable track bar is included to properly center the front axle
Cam washers are included to correct front end alignment

Rear extended sway bar links are included. These links come with urethane bushings to increase performance and reduce body roll. The factory rear links are then used in the front.

A rear track bar relocation system is included to perfectly center the axle under your JK
2" bump stop extensions are included to protect your vehicle while still increasing wheel travel

Brake line relocation brackets are supplied to allow for the dramatic increase in wheel travel

New Zone front and rear shocks are included that are valved specifically for your JK
the rear should be fine but being that you have an auto, the front will be pushing it. if the shocks are are on the short side, you should be fine. however, if they are extended, you will run the risk of damaging your spline shaft boot even on the street.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks again Wayoflife !!!

So in your opinion do you think a 3" lift is the safest bet or do you feel they both run into the same issues ?
Also do you feel a drop pitman arm is needed on a 3" lift as you stated you felt it was on a 4".

On a budget here so I am trying to start out slow and build up with out messing up my current ride. I plan to install the kit then save up for lower adj control arms ...then shafts If I really need to ( want to shafts if I can). Also as I stated before I believe my stock X sits already ~1" lower than a Rubi or an X with a tow package, does this make any difference to what lift I use....my thinking is a 4" lift on a stock X is more in tune with a 3" lift on a Rubi...I may be way off here ???

Thanks again for your help !
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
JK-Forum Founder

So in your opinion do you think a 3" lift is the safest bet or do you feel they both run into the same issues ?
Also do you feel a drop pitman arm is needed on a 3" lift as you stated you felt it was on a 4".

On a budget here so I am trying to start out slow and build up with out messing up my current ride. I plan to install the kit then save up for lower adj control arms ...then shafts If I really need to ( want to shafts if I can). Also as I stated before I believe my stock X sits already ~1" lower than a Rubi or an X with a tow package, does this make any difference to what lift I use....my thinking is a 4" lift on a stock X is more in tune with a 3" lift on a Rubi...I may be way off here ???

Thanks again for your help !
where drive shafts are concerned, yes, a 3" lift might be a safer bet especially if you just stick to pavement. if you do any offroading, the determining factor will be how much droop your shocks allow for. if the shocks are on the short side, you will be fine. if they are extended, even with 3" of lift, it will be an issue at a droop. regarding a dropped pitman arm, no, you will not need it with 3" of lift and i would actually not recommend it.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default And again thanks WOL !

Just so I am clear

4" lift ..... even on street may/will have issues with front drive shaft. Recommend drop pitman arm + additional control arms.

3" lift....On street should be ok, off road will depend on shock travel if issues will happen. Recommend adj lower control arms over cam washers. No pit man arm needed.

Aga in I am on a budget so this is not a all at once build up, I would like to go for the 4" but per you advice I will settle for a 3" as I don't want to run into issues driving on the street until I get the rest of the parts.

The fact is I found an ad for a unbelievable deal on the Zone 4” kit in Petersons 4 Wheel magazine, I called Zone/ Dave and was told it’s good through the end of the March. It took the decision making out of it as I was riding the fence between a few of the 3-4" kits. The deal is way to good to pass up and their kit has everything the other kits had ( as far as I can see) that are in the same "basic" entry lift

I guess if the wife can live with 1" less so can I
Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

4" lift ..... even on street may/will have issues with front drive shaft. Recommend drop pitman arm + additional control arms.
you will NEED a front track bar relocation bracket IN ADDITION to an adjustable front track bar. this is the ONLY way you can install a dropped pitman arm. also, yes, you most likely will have issues with your front drive shaft and even your rear shaft will be at it's max at 4" - this will be something that you will want to address sooner than later if you choose to off road your jeep. and, for this, you will need adjustable upper arms in the rear as well so that you can set your pinion angle.

3" lift....On street should be ok, off road will depend on shock travel if issues will happen. Recommend adj lower control arms over cam washers. No pit man arm needed.
depending on shock travel, yes.

The fact is I found an ad for a unbelievable deal on the Zone 4” kit in Petersons 4 Wheel magazine, I called Zone/ Dave and was told it’s good through the end of the March. It took the decision making out of it as I was riding the fence between a few of the 3-4" kits. The deal is way to good to pass up and their kit has everything the other kits had ( as far as I can see) that are in the same "basic" entry lift
this is no cliché but reality - it is an unbelievable deal because it's an unbelievably incomplete kit. 4" is A LOT of lift and i wouldn't run one without the bare minimum components listed and that's just for ON PAVEMENT use.

Quick Reply: 08 4dr Jk Zone 3" 0r 4" lift