Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

07 Jeep Wrangler Clutch/Slave Cylinder

Old 03-09-2021, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Jeep Wrangler Clutch/Slave Cylinder

Hello everyone,

I had a complete failure of my slave cylinder a little while ago. I finally got around to replacing it as well as the throw out bearing. After completely reinstalling the transmission, the clutch is not functioning properly. The clutch itself is only about 2 years old. I installed everything just as I had taken it apart, and now I'm wondering where I could have gone wrong. I bled the slave about 15 times, but it's not engaging the clutch whatsoever. When I open the bleeder valve the brake fluid is clear and free of bubbles. Master cylinder is functioning properly as well. Is this a matter of needing to bleed the slave about 50 more times and waiting time periods of up to 30 minutes between bleeding sessions?? (Saw that on youtube). At a loss here, and as spring is upon us I am dying to get her back on the road.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I've never had any difficulty bleeding the clutch hydraulic system. Usually a five minute job (with a friend to pump the pedal).

There are a pair of O-rings (they aren't really O-rings, but they sort of look like it) that are made out of Flubber (a Disney product). When you pull the line off the slave cylinder (or the other end at the master), that ring may stick on the end of the line briefly. Just briefly. Then fall off. Then exhibit its Flubber properties by bouncing off the concrete and quickly disappearing from sight, hidden in the most remote, difficult to access place of your work area. If you have floor drains, whoa is you. You'll get some slight seepage of brake fluid at the missing joint, since you may have never known that seal was even there. Unless you're certain you didn't drop that, that would be the first place I'd look. And if you can't find it, that's when you learn you get to buy a new line, which comes (or at least used to) with the two "not O-rings".
The following users liked this post:
dmartin35 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Giggle .....

Well, if that is not the solution, it was certainly worth the read !

It’s unbelievable how things can disappear - lol ....

Neville
Mark Doiron (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can completely confirm that what Mark said, is true! Make sure that it's in there, as it will never bleed. I had mine on and bled in a matter of minutes. I actuated the plunger on the slave cylinder by hand as I was bleeding to help speed up the process. Just make sure you aren't pushing it in at an angle.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will give the ends a gander. Chances are that mischievous matter is probably gone. I can’t think of any other reason as to why when i depress the clutch pedal the clutch won’t engage. Will report back.
Mark Doiron (03-16-2021)

Quick Reply: 07 Jeep Wrangler Clutch/Slave Cylinder