Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

07 Auto JK Unlimted Towing/Gear change

Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Auto JK Unlimted Towing/Gear change

I have been searching online and I read the FAQ here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/21127-post/

There is a ton of info on gear changes, but mostly its for offroading and large tires.

I have an AUTOMATIC 07 Unlimited X, with the factory tow package (4.10). Stock tires (32s I believe). My 4x4 needs end @ using sandy boat ramps, and I dont care about bigger tires.

I tow my jetski trailer ALOT, with 1000mile interstate trips a few times a year. The jetski trailer has (2) standup skis (300lbs each) and a dirtbike (250lbs). Trailer itself weights less then 650lbs. Totals about 1500lbs, well within the 3500lbs that the JK is supposesd to be able to tow. Problem is @ highway speed (70-75mph) I must have OD OFF, even on level pavement....Or else it will downshift like crazy, and the RPM's are over +3,100. It just seems like I have to run the jeep to hard for such a light load. My question is, would changing my gearing help my towing? I am willing to even down size my tires if that will help the towing performance. I know the jeep isnt supposed to be a towing maching, but I am not trying to pull a 6000lb enclosed toy hauler or heavy boat. A pickup doesnt really fit my lifestyle, I need the large enclosed cargo area the JK offers. I am starting to debate trading it in for a 5.7hemi grand cherokee for the improved towing performance, but I do love the JK otherwise.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 4.88's

You could always have a HEMI put in the JK !!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
Try 4.88's

You could always have a HEMI put in the JK !!!!!
Would 4.88 or 5.13 make a significant difference when towing? Thank you for helping out a total jeep newb.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Check the RPM chart in the Drivetrain FAQ's.

Yes, gearing lower will give better 'O/D On' towing ability. The downside is that towing in over-drive will heat up the transmission, which may cause more problems for you. You'll want a cooler, if you don't have one already.

Pretty much anywhere you look, the advice is to tow O/D off. You don't have a very heavy load, but any time the tranny downshifts out of overdrive (on hills or whatever), think about how high your rpm's will jump.

32's with 4.88's
O/D On - 2476 rpm @ 70
O/D Off - 3588 (ish) rpm @ 70

32's with 5.13's
O/D On - 2603 rpm @ 70
O/D Off - 3772 (ish) rpm @ 70

If you drop tire height, the rpm's will climb again.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Check the RPM chart in the Drivetrain FAQ's.

Yes, gearing lower will give better 'O/D On' towing ability. The downside is that towing in over-drive will heat up the transmission, which may cause more problems for you. You'll want a cooler, if you don't have one already.

Pretty much anywhere you look, the advice is to tow O/D off. You don't have a very heavy load, but any time the tranny downshifts out of overdrive (on hills or whatever), think about how high your rpm's will jump.

32's with 4.88's
O/D On - 2476 rpm @ 70
O/D Off - 3588 (ish) rpm @ 70

32's with 5.13's
O/D On - 2603 rpm @ 70
O/D Off - 3772 (ish) rpm @ 70

If you drop tire height, the rpm's will climb again.
Thank you nthinuf! That is exactly the info I was looking for. Sounds like it may not be worth trying to gear the JK into a tow rig and just get something with more balls. Man it sucks they dont offer the JK with a hemi/diesel option. I just do not want to do another 1000mile trip @3300rpm/8.5MPG. Just feels like I am abusing the truck so bad.

Last edited by shawn_nj; 01-25-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You might do a quick search for the recent Flashpaq threads. There has been some very good feedback on it so far. Don't expect hemi-power, of course, but may be something to look into until you can come up with the 20k for a hemi swap...

Quick Reply: 07 Auto JK Unlimted Towing/Gear change