Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

07 2dr auto w/ 2.5" lift, Do I need to replace front and/or rear driveshaft?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 2dr auto w/ 2.5" lift, Do I need to replace front and/or rear driveshaft?

Hello, i'm ready to pull the trigger and get a 2.5" lift. I've seen mixed thoughts regarding the driveshafts. Some say no problem while others say replace the front drive shaft. However, I was looking at the installation instructions for a superlift 2.5" kit and they suggest replacing only the rear driveshaft. I'm very confused. Anyone with experience or input?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's bad replace it, if not, don't. You don't "need" to do anything. You'll be able to hear when it starts wearing out. Replace it then. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put 2.5 lift and .75 spacers First time out ripped the boot off the front and that was 3 years ago and it is still going strong without it
AMen
Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah you'll be fine for a long time I'm sure. Plus the lift will sag with bumpers/ winch/ time. Etc
Old 11-02-2016, 09:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

After the lift is installed, flex it and check the clearances. Then, as part of normal maintenance, you should be crawling underneath and putting an eyeball on those joints. When you see a ring of grease above a joint on the undercarriage, you'll know its time.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TJs used to require a replacement rear shaft on most lift kits just because it was so short. I haven't heard of a reason to replace the rear unless you get into tall lifts with extended control arms. The front shaft will probably touch the exhaust crossover which is why most companies will recommend either a more narrow drive shaft or to install an exhaust spacer. I have spacers and they were the cheaper option but it does drop down below the crossmember by a few mm.

Quick Reply: 07 2dr auto w/ 2.5" lift, Do I need to replace front and/or rear driveshaft?