Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

0 to 60 - Before and After

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what my 0-60 timing is yet, but Im' kinda worried that there are people afraid to get some action going on a new rig. I red-lined mine in the first 20 minutes... I'll get my numbers tonight if I can.

Don't be afraid to push the pedal, that's what it's for!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Default Redline

I think you'd want to visit the redline. I wouldn't exceed it or drive it for long in that range but surely it should be fine to it take there. How else are you going to get rid of the gunk, coots and other crap building up in there? Let the wild banshee wail!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

In a loose analogy, engines are sort of like NiCad batteries in that they tend to build a "memory" within their normal operating range. If an engine never goes above xxxx RPM, let's say 1000 RPM below red-line, then it effectively learns that as its soft red line (the Redline minus 1000 number). In my opinion, you add to that our "learning computer" and you simply compound the problem.

I have had several friends that found the quintessential "little old lady's muscle car" that somebody had driven very lightly, then when somebody bought it and drove it moderate to hard, well the thing just broke. Why, because the engine had learned its operation range and then the new owner exceeded that range even though the new range was well within the original design specs. So like I said, drive it like you stole it... every once in awhile. Just think about the guys that might have taken your baby for a "test ride" before you did. Do you think they might have hit Red Line with only a few miles on your baby?

Maybe RIPP would like to chime in and set the record straight as they are a speed shop by trade?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I've drove my last 2 Jeeps hard, and the YJ had 140,000 on it no problems. My current one has 24K on it, and see redline all the time.

Oh and I do the same with my 04 Titan, once the wheels stop squealing.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

To Be Frank ......

I got rid of a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 4-spd and 4.10 dana 60 that would run the quarter in 13's with the 1st , 2nd, and 3rd gear changes very violently propelling the tires into huge plumes of smoke !!! The tires were a rather hard compound !!!

And by adding the RIPP Supercharger to my 6-spd Jeep ..... Stock I had to take the engine up to 3000 rpm to get the same effect I now get with the SC at around 1800 rpm....... I have had no need to take it past 3500 rpm to get similar feeling in G-Force compared to the Challenger !!

I now have 700 miles on SC and only have " shown " its power twice !!! The riders were VERY im-pressed ( into the seat .... Holding on for dear life ) The Mickey Thompson's are rather soft compound and don't spin ....... it is all " SHIT AND GIT " !!!!
I am still waiting for SIGNIFICANT increase in Economy which is supposed to take place after 800 to 1000 miles !!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foo
I've drove my last 2 Jeeps hard, and the YJ had 140,000 on it no problems. My current one has 24K on it, and see redline all the time.

Oh and I do the same with my 04 Titan, once the wheels stop squealing.
If only you could get the Titan's motor and tranny in the JK.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

That would be sweet!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Floor it, especially if you have an automatic transmission. The autos have an adaptive TCM that "learns" how you drive. I generally have to wipe my Charger's TCM every few months and shift manually for a while to get the shifts snappy again after driving like a grampa for very long.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jeez, I don't think I've ever been much over 3200 rpm

Quick Reply: 0 to 60 - Before and After