Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

**body Lift... Pros Cons**

Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Daystar's Perforance Acc. body lifts in all of my full size trucks...and on my toyota. On my CJ I used the old Hocky puck method. On the IFS trucks it made the most sense to use the 3" body lift in conjuction with the 3" suspension lifts. 1st.. cost was much cheaper.... 2cd no cutting or welding mods to the frame work.. 3rd... the 6" suspesion lifts didnt' increase articulation or ground clearance . On these Jeeps I don't understand the decision to purchase a body lift. Most times the #1 reason for body vs. suspension is cost. Your only going to gain 1" on these.. so I would just increase the bump stops to stop bottoming out. Much cheaper. If you want it taller.. .add more lift.

The body lift will not increase your ground clearance at all. that is a big con. But.. I've never cracked a body mount spacer wheeling with the big body lifts. I've had my chevy twisted to the point where you can stand under one of the rear wheels and nothing let go. So breaking is not a concern for me. I have snapped body mount bolts doing this... but... i've broken body mount bolts without the body lifts too.. so....

the only Pros to the Body lift are: very little effect if any to the ride quality. 1" gained articulation before hitting the body

There is nothing wrong with the body lifts... it's all a personal preferance how you want to lift it up.

Last... every lift kit manufacturer says not to mix companies products on your lift kits... and never use both suspension and body lifts... thier just covering thier buts from lawsuits. The same suspension company will tell you not to use a body lift and then at the end of the instructions give you a tire fit chart and specify which tire will need wheel well trimming and which would require an additional body lift.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

The body life is such a simple way to get an inch of tire clearance w/o changing the performance of the vehicle. The only negatives I saw were: Cracked pucks, deciding later I wanted a ultimate 3 inch lift and not needing the body lift, seeing the seams, super cool macho suspension monkeys thinking I'm not cool for having a bodylift

None of these except the possible future 3 inch lift mattered to me. If i go with the bigger lift later then maybe I'll have to get 37s to fill the hole. I don't notice the seam or pucks unless i look for it and frankly it really doesn't bother me either way. If i crack a puck I've probably changed the way I intended to wheel in the first place and it's probably the least expensive thing I'll end up breaking. As for those suspension monkeys my dad can beat up your dad.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Freak

i know a body lift is in my future because i want to roll on bfg Krawlers and just want the roomier feel rather than run into problems with rubbing and such, plus much cheaper and if you put out a couple more bucks for a quality BL than you wont get screwed later on
Old 03-29-2008, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

i am wanting to do the tf 2.5 bb and the 1 bl from daystar... several members have the same setup and seem to like the end result.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

1" body lift is a great addition to a BB for additional clearance . I run a 2" black diamond BB and 1" M.O.R.E. BL with 35s and no issues at all. I also did a write up showing how to relocate your rear bumper to eliminate the gap above the rear bumper. Or, you could leave the gap which will allow you to fit a 35" spare without the need for a spacer.

I was on the fence for a long time with the BL. I decided to combine the BL and BB so I could clear 35s without driveline concerns. If I were to run a 3" suspension lift, I would need to replace my rear driveshaft at some point. Below are a couple shots of my rig.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
1" body lift is a great addition to a BB for additional clearance . I run a 2" black diamond BB and 1" M.O.R.E. BL with 35s and no issues at all. I also did a write up showing how to relocate your rear bumper to eliminate the gap above the rear bumper. Or, you could leave the gap which will allow you to fit a 35" spare without the need for a spacer.

I was on the fence for a long time with the BL. I decided to combine the BL and BB so I could clear 35s without driveline concerns. If I were to run a 3" suspension lift, I would need to replace my rear driveshaft at some point. Below are a couple shots of my rig.

from the 2-2.5 bb lift is that cutting it close to the 3" mark for 2 door jeeps as far as potential drive line issues?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It won't mess with the driveline since it is 2.5" BB. The Body lift won't effect the driveline at all.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nc07jk
from the 2-2.5 bb lift is that cutting it close to the 3" mark for 2 door jeeps as far as potential drive line issues?
I believe 3" is where you start to run into dramatically increased wear, causing failure of the rear driveline due to the increased pinion angle. I haven't heard of anyone with issues on a 2"-2.5".

My other reason for running this combo is that I am not a hardcore offroader. This is my daily driver and it is taken on camping trips and wuss trails because I can't afford to damage my only transportation.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

I have a 3.5" lift with no driveline issues, maybe over time the wear and tear will be more stressful than if I got a driveshaft but so far 12 weeks strait of wheelin and not a single problem. As far as the bodylift, when I was at full flex, my 35's would rub the front fender, now with a 1" bl I no longer have that problem.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

the BL may not add any ground clearance but it does allow bigger tires which will add to ground clearance

Quick Reply: **body Lift... Pros Cons**