Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

****Power Steering Failure*******

Old 07-05-2009, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all those with lifts above 3 inches; I found that to prevent steering related problems requires a few parts:

Required to keep your steering system top notch.
1.Sector shaft brace: From Off Road Evolution.
2.Steering pump cooler.
3.Synthetic fluid: Royal Purple makes high quality stuff.
4.Very high quality synthetic grease: look above for brand recommendation.

Optional depending on driving habits:
1. Front and rear adjustable track bars.
2. Front and rear track bar brackets: JKS( weld on), Currie(weld on), Teraflex; all make very high quality and stout brackets.

Theres other parts that can improve your steering system and improve/ upgrade your suspension, the list above is the basics.

Last edited by Robar; 07-05-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Edited blacklisted manufacturer
Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone make an after market better than stock power steering pump for JK?
If not what is the best place to buy stock PS pump and wondering how much they are
Old 07-05-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Zak
Does anyone make an after market better than stock power steering pump for JK?
If not what is the best place to buy stock PS pump and wondering how much they are
doesnt PSC make pumps for the JK?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
That is just wrong...on many levels. If it is a legit claim then fine, but don't play and break something then lead the dealer into thinking you don't.

It is sad that some people won't accept responsibility for their actions....
I with you on this as well.

I understood the risks of lifting/modifying my JK when I did it. I can see how the thing would wear differently with OEM vs after market stuff.

I wouldn't let the cost of this repair cost me my honor and weigh on my conscience.

Not worth it.

Good to see my Texarkana neighbor is also on board.!

Last edited by mmcan; 07-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zak
Yes I did noticed on few occasions the steering went completely hard even when i was running stock wheels and tyres or 35" tires but came back again normal but this time completey gave up

Just a month ago delaer replaced the steering box so it is brand new. is there something internal in the PS pump which can break ?

Also it is entirely my fault bec I was doing donuts in the snow with full lock after that no steering.
Snow down under?? And doughnuts locked! I hiope you didn't wear out even more than just the PS!!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
Snow down under?? And doughnuts locked! I hiope you didn't wear out even more than just the PS!!
I think it was the steering wheel that was at full turn. Be real hard to do a donut with the axles locked.

My PS pump is from a 6.1 and when it went out the fluid was like chocolate milk and smelt of roasted nuts. When I first look at it I thought water had got in. That might have been the case, but it was full and no signs of leaks anywhere. I tried looking for metal or debris in drained fluid, but it was too dark to see anything. I did flush the system, but I'm still worried about it.

I had expected the steering box to go before the pump. I actually never thought the pump would go before the box. What caused the pump to fail before the steering box? I thought the box was the weak link.

The pump is relatively cheap. New on-line for the 3.8L is only about $80 US. Mine is twice that but it was replaced for free. The steering box is only about 80 bucks too. The PSC is 10X the price at $1,600 US. I don't think it's worth the price premium, but I'm still going to do it.

Last edited by eDiveBuddy; 07-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zak

Also it is entirely my fault bec I was doing donuts in the snow with full lock after that no steering.
whoops. Donuts in mud at full lock and my power steering is now kaput too... So, thanks to Zak and me, we know what not to do...... Bad part is that donut was my last one before I left

so what is needed to fix this problem? new ps pump? what is the ps box? oh, and the manual said if the ps system is lost, it will be hard to turn the wheel, but I don't think this will break anything... but it is a pain.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zak
I have also driven 180 miles on highway and around 60 miles on trial with deep ruts etc without power steering applying a lot of force to turn the wheels wondering if i have damaged anything by doing that like steeing sector shaft etc
Don't think anyone has addressed this question. So can the steering system handle this type of force upstream of the PS box? If not, what is going to go?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Question bump

anyone know if it is ok to drive without PS? if I won't hurt anything I can wait till payday but if not I still have to go to work tomorrow...
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure how u gona drive without power steering becareful not to damage the steering box or steering sector shaft by appying too much force I am worried i might have done the damage already

Originally Posted by The_Captain
anyone know if it is ok to drive without PS? if I won't hurt anything I can wait till payday but if not I still have to go to work tomorrow...

Quick Reply: ****Power Steering Failure*******