Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

~~ Using a wheel spacer? ~~

Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spidertrax

1.5"

aluminum

www.Northridge4x4.com

No complaints at all; have had them on for 1,500 miles...
Old 10-27-2007, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spidertrax
1.5"
Aluminum
Quadratec - ordered on a Monday morning, had them Tuesday by lunch
1year / 6000 miles, no problems at all.

There is a photo in my link that shows how much nicer the JK looks with the wheels bumped out.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spidertrax 1.5 over 6000 miles and still just as tight as the day I put them on. I think spacers have gotten a bad rap from cheap ones made that were made with either cheap studs that broke or thin ones that go between wheel and hub that use original studs and don't leave much to tighten down on. You won't find it to be that way with Spidertrax.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Spidertrax
1.5"
Aluminum
Quadratec
3500 miles
No issues at all
Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input every one. There is one reason that I asked if they where aluminum or steel. A friend awhile back used spacer that where aluminum and these where not el cheapos.I cant remember the name brand but he paid about $350.00 for them. He had them on his truck for a long time and one day he had a flat. Well when he went to change the tire 2 lugs and the studs would do nothing but spin in the aluminum spacer that it was in and he could not the wheel off. He ended up having to use an air chisel to bust the lugs up into pieces to get it off the stud. By doing so it really messed up his wheel. Aluminum and steel, when heated, cool down at different rates. It was found that the aluminum and steel expanding and contracting at different rates caused the stud and the housing to mess up.

Last edited by Rage; 10-29-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know if TerraFlex macks a 1.5" - 2" spacer?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel spacers come with all sorts of inherent problems.
  1. It adds stress to the axels because they are adding leverage where leverage was never intended by the factory.
  2. Steel-on-steel might be OK, but never Steel-on-Aluminum. Most spacers are aluminum and it's only a matter of time before the studs work free.
  3. If you are upgrading wheels, why not get the right backspacing in the first place? If you are not upgrading wheels, you are probably exceeding the recommended wheel width if your tires are rubbing.
IMO, I would only use spacers as a short-term fix. Save up some money and get the right wheels with the right backspace.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Wheel spacers come with all sorts of inherent problems.
  1. It adds stress to the axels because they are adding leverage where leverage was never intended by the factory.
  2. Steel-on-steel might be OK, but never Steel-on-Aluminum. Most spacers are aluminum and it's only a matter of time before the studs work free.
  3. If you are upgrading wheels, why not get the right backspacing in the first place? If you are not upgrading wheels, you are probably exceeding the recommended wheel width if your tires are rubbing.
IMO, I would only use spacers as a short-term fix. Save up some money and get the right wheels with the right backspace.
ummm, a different back spaced wheel will add the same amount of stress to an axle as a wheel spacer.....either way you are srill moving the tire/wheel away from the hub.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely right - too much backspacing will stress the same, all things equal (around here we OBEY the laws of physics!) To simply take an ill-fitting wheel/tire combo and put on a spacer to make things right is asking for the same amount of hub/axle wear as putting the same size wheel/tire combo with more backspace.

As stated before, IMO (in my opinion), and that of Discount Tire among others, is that a correct-fitting wheel/tire combo is better than an ill-fitting wheel/tire combo fixed with spacers.

Not much info, but maybe worth a look:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelFAQ.dos

All said, the amount of stress on a stock axle caused by a spacer is probably dwarfed by most oversized wheel/tire combos (35"+), "correct fit" or not.

Quick Reply: ~~ Using a wheel spacer? ~~