Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

[video] Loud tapping from rear driveshaft?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [video] Loud tapping from rear driveshaft?

Hi all,

Just registered as hoping I can get some help (where my dealer is falling short..!) - hi everyone!

I have a GCC-spec 2014 JK with 2.5" AEV lift and 315 (34"ish) Geolandar ATs. It's been fine for 18 months, but I've noticed a loud tapping sound coming from the rear driveshaft. This only happens when I'm accelerating from stationary under load - ie. driving slowly away from the lights, or driving up a ramp.

It's loud on the video but a lot quieter in the cab - you have to open the windows and listen carefully.

I did a visual inspection of both driveshafts and tried to move the axle with my hands but there's no play - it's solid and there's no obvious issue - leaks etc.

My dealer told me the usual "cannot replicate customer complaint" when I dropped it in a month ago, but it's got worse since then.

Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsC0KaFHsog
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked inside the diff?

Northridge 4x4
Old 07-05-2016, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what that sound is but it's definitely not normal. I'm subscribing to see what others say.

Good luck!

Scooby
Old 07-05-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wrangeler X
Have you checked inside the diff?

Northridge 4x4
I haven't - it's under warranty, so I don't want to do anything that would affect that. Just interested to hear any opinion, as my dealer has said they can't hear anything... so I want to go in there armed with some info. This video is probably enough to be honest, but I'm interested to know why it might have failed - whether it's my penchant for putting my foot down a bit hard combined with the lift or the 34"s etc...
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what that sound is but it's definitely not normal. I'm subscribing to see what others say.

Good luck!

Scooby
Thanks my main concern is whether I can drive on it... the Eid holidays start tomorrow here in the UAE which means family time for Muslims. And not being Muslim or having a family, it means going crawling and drinking beer
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd be curious if maybe it's even the driveshaft. It shouldn't be an issue at 2.5" and particularly not on the 4dr but sometimes it's the things we don't consider.

Quick Reply: [video] Loud tapping from rear driveshaft?