Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

**body Lift... Pros Cons**

Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TKCop07 your jeep looks awesome. I have the 3" BDS SL and running 35's I am thinking about also buying the 2" BL and add that to clear the 35's a little better. JUst waiting for some more money.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxCop07
6 speed, had to trim, but its not that hard.
do you have a pic of how your shifter(trans and transfer) look like now?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepnyak
do you have a pic of how your shifter(trans and transfer) look like now?

Here are links to 2 old threads of other members trimming the shifter after their BL...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=shifter+trim

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...er+trim&page=2
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

No issues with the 4wd shifter I take it?

That's pretty amazing, hopefully won't be any issues with this 2" BDS BL either, although the TJ's came with a drop bracket for the 4wd shifter (Performance Accessories) did anyway.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grant211
so a higher lift will cause issues if you add a body lift?
No... he's saying the 2.5 didn't cause any driveline problems AND the body lift wouldn't cause driveline issues. once you reach a certain hight of suspension lift it will casue driveline issues, this has nothing to do with weather or not you add a body lift.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

We're running two Rubi's on Rough Country 2.5 BB with 34 inch Maxxis Bighorns. If you check their web site they are exactly 34 inches in diametre.

A 1 inch body lift is a nice completement to the lift, and if you have auto there will be no problems.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

MORE Hockey Pucks or Daystar Body Lift? Or is there another good brand out there?
Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

To clarify for the newbies:

A suspension lift raises the frame further from the ground by increasing the distance from the axles to the frame, typically by the use of longer springs, or spring spacers, etc.

An SL leaves the axles where they are relative to the ground, adding no additional ground clearance for the diffs and axles.

To fit larger tires on an SL, you have to sacrifice uptravel, otherwise the taller tires hit the fenders, etc.....Also, on opposite side droop/stuffage...the taller stuffed tire hits the inside of the wheel well,, binding and limiting wheel travel, if there's too much back spacing.

The less BS, the more wear/stress on the wheel bearings, etc.

The BL adds room for larger tires....that's pretty much its primary function, except for some skids or OBA systems, etc...which need more room to tuck parts up out of the way under the jeep.

A BL doesn't impact the suspension or steering, or ride, handling, etc...it just makes a bit more room between the frame and the body...that's it....so larger tires can stuff into the new roomier wheel wells.

Larger tires pick the ENTIRE jeep up, not just the frame, but also raise the axles and diffs too.

The approach and departure angles of the body parts are also improved, as you are lifting them....to make room for taller tires.

1" of BL makes 2" more tire diameter room....so if 33's fit w/o a BL, 35's will fit with a 1" BL, etc.

An SL raises the center of gravity (COG) enough to notice, the higher the SL, the more noticeable the COG change....as the body is light...the effect of a BL on the COG is not noticeable.....being so much lighter.

A BL gives a bit more fording depth for the cabin....and if you added larger tires, a lot more fording depth (An extra inch of tire dimater picks the jeep up 1/2", etc...)

A BL can help you ameliorate the need for bumpstop extensions, which rob you of uptravel.

A 1" BL can make your 2- 2.5" BB (A short SL) able to run tires 2" larger in diameter, more like you'd need ~ a 4- 5" SL to fit, depending on how much uptravel the 4 - 5" SL's provided, etc.

SO - an BL alone is the answer for larger tires alone...on a budget....but, its not typically used alone, its actually more of a great addition to an SL to preserve uptravel/maximize articulation.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by TEEJ; 06-30-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I just put on 6.5" lift. 37" tires will "supposedly" be in this week. A 1" BL was recommended, otherwise I should just accept some rubbing. Is this true?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

I'll just throw this in as I've been now hearing the same from a varoius amount of long time jeepers with everything from ol' Willys to CJ's...I'm the only one with the JK

Everybody's telling me that a 2 in Body lift is the MAXXXXXXXX you wanna run. 1 in is really about the ideal if you are not going to do a suspension lift. I thorow this in as I've never heard ANY Body lift issues with other rigs (non-jeeps) but have now been told countless times by this jeeper crew and others from various run-ins & talks around several shops-- the jeeps just seem to wanna EAT body lifts ((and we're talking the 2 doors....they say it'll probably be worse for the 4 doors....)).

But I've run a THREE-inch lift on my off-roader Ford for close to 23 years and aint had really but ONE problem.... a slackened shift linkage...... Now I aint rockcrawling but this thing has been off road, been across streams and through the mud & much more times than I care to count. Its been beat on pretty severely for a Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior over the years-- Not one iota or smidgen of a crack in any of them that I can see ((and yeah...you can see all of 'em pretty easy))....So take all that into consideration.

So from the world of jeeprs I've been talking to-- Dont go beyond a 1 inch Body lift: But from the World of NON-jeep-- its more an issue of what are you comfy running & showing (some have probs with the skirts showing...dont bother me none).

I personally DONT like the look of *Stuffed* wheel wells- I much prefer the extra clearence and NEVER having to worry EVER about an tire scraping the fender: but to each his own.... I just added a 5" Trailmaster and i AM thinking of going with a 2" body lift....this thing will see Off roading but probabbly not the hardcore rockcrawling where 40's are small tires for the crowd (no, I aint running 40's....yet).......

So just my take on things---- YOU have to live with it and without the money spent on it: But if you're worried about 34.5" tires....heck- Just throw the Body lift on and go play: if you're really worried about it- go to the 2 inch and just keep an eye on the mounts.......

Quick Reply: **body Lift... Pros Cons**