Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

***Goodyear MTR/Kevlar or BFG MTR KM2's***

Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had my MTR/K's at Uwharrie and some Ohio trails, but they seem to do quite well on rocks and pretty dang good in mud.

On an Ohio trail ride last fall is was a muddy, rainy mess, and I was able to easily traverse a lot of hills and banks with the MTR/K's that a lot of other people were oddly having problems with. Of course, a new tire with any aggressive tread at all is going to do way better than a worn out "mud" tire.

The Goodyears also balanced well for me and have acceptable road manners. I also love the look...and the fact I don't see many around town.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cell4soul
I really wanted the MTR's myself, but they are on back order for the size I wanted - 315/75/R16. I had to settle for the KM2's. The Toyos were another option, but I didn't really want the Load Range E. As others have mentioned, you probably can't go wrong with either.
I was debating the same thing, but two days ago I ordered the MT/R's in 315/75/r16. Tire rack was the only place that had them in stock. I went with them because of the reported undersized KM2's, and the reports on performance (both rock and mud).
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

I think about 75% of the folks with dds (not in snow/ice country) are debating or dealt with the same debate if on the market recently, they are 2 of the best tires out IMO and prolly in many others too. I wnt with the KM2s because I've always loved brg's tires and because every day I changed my mind whether I loved or hated the tread patter on them. I'm super happy with my decision, LOVE THEM!! The only time I can actually hear them is around 4-7mph, other than that, they are damn near silent. Can report back about the rocks next month after superlift in arkansas!! Like everyone has said, don't think u can go wrong with either, just prefrence. This has been a LOOOONGG debate on here. My 315/75/16's came out to a little over 34", about .35 over. I hear the kevlars are big, so that woulda been a plus as I'm already thinkin about 37's!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I'm going with some 40x13.50x17 mtr kevlar's very soon. I have seen how much lighter these tires are than others and how much better they flex due to being siped. Anyone want some 37x13.50x17 baja claws for cheap pm me.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

FYI

BFG Mud Terrain
Goodyear Maximum Traction/Reinforced
Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Default i have

i have the MTR's. and they are great. i have a few buddys out here with the KM2's. and they perform just as well. these two tires are both in a league all of there own. the only differance is. with the MTR's you are getting true size. with the KM2's your not. mine measure at 35lbs at 34.8. the KM2's measure at 33.9 to 34.2.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

I just got my Goodies can't wait to mount them on my 18 in ions
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubiman
Wonder which is better in Snow Country and rocky mountain terrain...
I have KM2's and my friend has the Goodyears. We wheel in the Colorado mountains all the time. He likes his in the now more because of the sipping (sp), but has no reference point to non sipped tires. I didn't see a need keep to sipp mine because they did well in the snow. Of course, ice is a different subject. Did snow wheeling with my KM2's and I had zero issues. Did my work commute with my KM2's and I had zero issues. Like others have said.... Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RokinRubi
I know I'm going with some 40x13.50x17 mtr kevlar's very soon. I have seen how much lighter these tires are than others and how much better they flex due to being siped. Anyone want some 37x13.50x17 baja claws for cheap pm me.
Lol how cheap is cheap and are you willing to ship?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 35" BFG KM2's with 40k miles on them and they look like they could go another 10-15k. They've done great on rocks, they do great as DD on freeways. Question though, I'm considering going to 37's with the KM2's because they run small and I could fit them with my AEV3.5" and flatfenders. Is the size difference between KM2's and MTR's such that an allegedly 37" KM2 is barely bigger than a true-to-size 35" MTR? I like what people are saying about the MTR's but I know I couldn't fit a 37" MTR.

Quick Reply: ***Goodyear MTR/Kevlar or BFG MTR KM2's***