Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

****Power Steering Failure*******

Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, the manual says that keeping the wheel at full lock too much will overheat the fluid and may damage the pump.... there is a warning that operating the vechicle without power assisted steering could be dangerous, but it doesn't say it will damage the vehicle..... but better safe than sorry..
Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

Default bump

anyone else? my power steering is still busted.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to replace the pump with oem ps pump. Its cheap and only takes couple of hours to replace one.

I was very interested in having PSC kit but I cant afford or justify 1700 bucks also mine is manual which PSC kit does not really work well compared to auto.

You have to use ur clucth and more throttle to park in car parks etc and on high way the steering feels a bit flight but offroad excellent results.

If I had an auto I would have definately went with PSC kit.

Searched a lot to see if I can get a bigger or better PS pump as a direct replacement but no luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

so that pump was the only thing that was broken? how much was the total? and how can you tell it was just the pump?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

At this point I think it is the pump and I am pretty sure about it. Bec when I start the vehcile or try to turn the steering wheel there is no decrease of oil in the resovoir. The pump just aint pumping any oil. Looks like the seals in the pump are gone.

My dealer is kind enough to replace under warranty even running 37 tires. booked it for next week so will let u know
Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

What was the result? I've got the same issue almost. I get power steering over 1500rpm but nothing below. I found mud and metal filings in the fluid but after installing the seal kit in the pump and flushing the system a few times It's now down to about 1200rpm. I'm thinking pump but it could be the box to...
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

You should never hold your steering wheel on the locks. It doesn't get you a tighter turn and you have the pump working really hard to pump fluid to no where. Once you hit the locks back off a little in the wheel. It will take a little twist off the t-bar so it isn't sending max fluid pressure to the steering gear.

There are definitely parts in the pump that can get damaged. The pump vanes come to mind.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK07
I have decided to replace the pump with oem ps pump. Its cheap and only takes couple of hours to replace one.

I was very interested in having PSC kit but I cant afford or justify 1700 bucks also mine is manual which PSC kit does not really work well compared to auto.

You have to use ur clucth and more throttle to park in car parks etc and on high way the steering feels a bit flight but offroad excellent results.

If I had an auto I would have definately went with PSC kit.

Searched a lot to see if I can get a bigger or better PS pump as a direct replacement but no luck.
I just installed the PSC assist with a six speed and it steers excellent at idle. You have to tell the PSC people you have a six speed they will give you a different pulley for the pump.

Chris
Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

My steering finally got so loose and sloppy that I could turn the steering wheel nearly a quarter turn and still go straight. Played havoc with the ESP and steering angle sensor. And replacing it with another OEM POS seemed ridiculous.

So I had Adam at Tribe 4X4 install the PSC Hydro-Assist system, and I love it. Drives great, very tight (had to get used to this again!)

And all those warning lights are gone.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have blown two pumps, and just finally found a dealer that would replace it. Each dealer saying big tires caused it. I am looking into the redneck ram setup now.

Quick Reply: ****Power Steering Failure*******