Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

$8k budget

Old 07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out what the people you currently ride with are using. There is nothing like first hand experience.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ1
Glad to see someone here is awake although that's assuming you're able to live/survive through the transition period.

Beans. Bullets. Band-aids.
I think y'all are underestimating me, lol. I have plenty of ammo, guns and essentials to survive. I also have a very strong warrior mindset. I will kill, not be killed.

I work for a company out of Colorado that is comprised of 99% veterans including myself. I do security details for a living.

No one is going to come Repo my vehicle during a crisis, nor come after me for unpaid debt in a lawless state. They won't even find my vehicle if I don't want them too. I've worked in the Asset Recovery field for over 3yrs as well before resigning / changing paths. I know all of the tricks.

We're going way off topic here guys lol
Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevo
I think y'all are underestimating me, lol. I have plenty of ammo, guns and essentials to survive. I also have a very strong warrior mindset. I will kill, not be killed.

I work for a company out of Colorado that is comprised of 99% veterans including myself. I do security details for a living.

No one is going to come Repo my vehicle during a crisis, nor come after me for unpaid debt in a lawless state. They won't even find my vehicle if I don't want them too. I've worked in the Asset Recovery field for over 3yrs as well before resigning / changing paths. I know all of the tricks.

We're going way off topic here guys lol

No underestimation on my part as that post was directed to "Irongate".

Having said that, from time-to-time I also pull detail with an outfit here in CA that is also comprised of 99% veterans and it's not only US veterans.

In the end however, it doesn't matter how well prepped someone is and/or how much training we've had because when God says your time is up, your time is up.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by irongate
This is going against everything said here, save your money $2000 in cash and use the rest to buy Silver for the coming crash! Don't spend it all on Jeep parts.
Since the main questions in this thread have already been answered and the OP resolved things with his Rubicon purchase, I don't mind diverting things to address this topic.

Silver does not gain value in a Depression. Hard and tangible assets lose value in Recessions and Depressions. Real estate loses value. Precious metals lose value.

Precious metals can increase in value due to supply and demand for jewelry or industrial uses. Otherwise, they increase based on fear.

They are absolutely the worst investments you can own. Precious metals don't produce income. They are extraordinarily expensive to buy and sell. You can't eat them. You can't live in them. They are not currency. Precious metals should typically not exceed 3-5% of your overall net worth because they will be flat or losers in almost all economic scenarios. People don't retire and live off their hoard or income from precious metals. They retire and live off their rental, dividend, and interest income, or from the appreciation of investments they bought years ago.

I'd rather own $6,000 of Apple Computer or ExxonMobil than $6,000 in silver. I'd rather own $6,000 of hen laying chickens than $6,000 in silver.

If you are concerned about an anarchist-type economic collapse (which has a 0% chance of happening without an apocalyptic type event, like a nuclear war or something like the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting) precious metals will be worthless. The Zombie and alien Apocalypse type shows are all fiction, but at least they don't show Walking Dead characters hoarding or trading precious metals like currency.

If you are concerned about hyper inflation or currency devaluation, you want to own commercial real estate with strong tenants or you want to own agricultural land. For example, when Argentina had hyper inflation, the person who owned the real estate where the McDonald's restaurant leased did just fine because the landlord just increased the rents. If you have agricultural land or animals, you have something to barter. If you really believe the conspiracy sellers then you'd be better off owning $6,000 in chickens and hens than $6,000 in silver. You can trade eggs for bread easier than you can barter silver pieces for bread. You can eat the eggs, not the silver.

Own a reserve food supply, have guns and ammo, an independent source of heat and water, or even an off-the-grid cabin for piece of mind and for fun. However, don't believe that the US is going to turn into the same type of violence and chaos found in failed African countries or the tribal violence and Sunni/Shia violence in the Middle East. The US does not consist of tribal cultures that have centuries old violence and conflict. We react to famine, natural disasters, etc. differently than tribal cultures do.

That all being said, there will be no massive currency devaluation. The US Dollar will remain the world's primary reserve currency until there is another democracy, with a larger and more stable economy than ours, with as much liquidity as ours, and politically as stable as ours. There are not enough Swiss Francs to replace the US Dollar. Russia and Brazil are too small and unstable. China is a communist government that randomly changes rules, manipulates their currency, and restricts foreign ownership of their currency. The Euro is too unstable. There aren't enough Canadian dollars. There is simply no viable alternative to the US Dollar. Even if China, Brazil, and Russia establish some alternative to the US Dollar, it will be too unstable and it would fail. They are not going to try to duplicate the Euro. Fracking technology and the Canadian tar sands make us less dependent on Middle Eastern oil being traded and valued in US Dollars.

The US Debt is 1x our GDP. The amount of the debt doesn't matter. What matters is debt to GDP ratio. I'm sure that our $18T debt will be $30T some day in the future, and it won't matter if our GDP is $36T at that time. It would matter if our GDP was $20T at that time.

The most likely scenario is that we are going to be in an extended period of low to flat growth, with low interest rates, higher taxes, greater and greater income disparity, high underemployment or unemployment, etc. Within about 10-20 years, as many as 1/2 of low skilled and no-skilled jobs will be replaced with technology and robotics. The Baby Boomers and their parents will consume the majority of our US Federal budget for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. More people will live into their 90s and 100s and consume a huge amount of resources with nursing home, medical, and other care costs.

China will grow old before they grow rich due to their 1-child policy. Global declining birth rates will result in stagnant growth and demand for new goods and services.

Pay off your debts. Live within your means. Save for retirement. Have an emergency fund and a food supply. Carry enough insurance. Have guns for safety and protection. Don't listen to the fear mongers and conspiracy theorists.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by planman

Since the main questions in this thread have already been answered and the OP resolved things with his Rubicon purchase, I don't mind diverting things to address this topic.

Silver does not gain value in a Depression. Hard and tangible assets lose value in Recessions and Depressions. Real estate loses value. Precious metals lose value.

Precious metals can increase in value due to supply and demand for jewelry or industrial uses. Otherwise, they increase based on fear.

They are absolutely the worst investments you can own. Precious metals don't produce income. They are extraordinarily expensive to buy and sell. You can't eat them. You can't live in them. They are not currency. Precious metals should typically not exceed 3-5% of your overall net worth because they will be flat or losers in almost all economic scenarios. People don't retire and live off their hoard or income from precious metals. They retire and live off their rental, dividend, and interest income, or from the appreciation of investments they bought years ago.

I'd rather own $6,000 of Apple Computer or ExxonMobil than $6,000 in silver. I'd rather own $6,000 of hen laying chickens than $6,000 in silver.

If you are concerned about an anarchist-type economic collapse (which has a 0% chance of happening without an apocalyptic type event, like a nuclear war or something like the Yellowstone Super Volcano erupting) precious metals will be worthless. The Zombie and alien Apocalypse type shows are all fiction, but at least they don't show Walking Dead characters hoarding or trading precious metals like currency.

If you are concerned about hyper inflation or currency devaluation, you want to own commercial real estate with strong tenants or you want to own agricultural land. For example, when Argentina had hyper inflation, the person who owned the real estate where the McDonald's restaurant leased did just fine because the landlord just increased the rents. If you have agricultural land or animals, you have something to barter. If you really believe the conspiracy sellers then you'd be better off owning $6,000 in chickens and hens than $6,000 in silver. You can trade eggs for bread easier than you can barter silver pieces for bread. You can eat the eggs, not the silver.

Own a reserve food supply, have guns and ammo, an independent source of heat and water, or even an off-the-grid cabin for piece of mind and for fun. However, don't believe that the US is going to turn into the same type of violence and chaos found in failed African countries or the tribal violence and Sunni/Shia violence in the Middle East. The US does not consist of tribal cultures that have centuries old violence and conflict. We react to famine, natural disasters, etc. differently than tribal cultures do.

That all being said, there will be no massive currency devaluation. The US Dollar will remain the world's primary reserve currency until there is another democracy, with a larger and more stable economy than ours, with as much liquidity as ours, and politically as stable as ours. There are not enough Swiss Francs to replace the US Dollar. Russia and Brazil are too small and unstable. China is a communist government that randomly changes rules, manipulates their currency, and restricts foreign ownership of their currency. The Euro is too unstable. There aren't enough Canadian dollars. There is simply no viable alternative to the US Dollar. Even if China, Brazil, and Russia establish some alternative to the US Dollar, it will be too unstable and it would fail. They are not going to try to duplicate the Euro. Fracking technology and the Canadian tar sands make us less dependent on Middle Eastern oil being traded and valued in US Dollars.

The US Debt is 1x our GDP. The amount of the debt doesn't matter. What matters is debt to GDP ratio. I'm sure that our $18T debt will be $30T some day in the future, and it won't matter if our GDP is $36T at that time. It would matter if our GDP was $20T at that time.

The most likely scenario is that we are going to be in an extended period of low to flat growth, with low interest rates, higher taxes, greater and greater income disparity, high underemployment or unemployment, etc. Within about 10-20 years, as many as 1/2 of low skilled and no-skilled jobs will be replaced with technology and robotics. The Baby Boomers and their parents will consume the majority of our US Federal budget for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. More people will live into their 90s and 100s and consume a huge amount of resources with nursing home, medical, and other care costs.

China will grow old before they grow rich due to their 1-child policy. Global declining birth rates will result in stagnant growth and demand for new goods and services.

Pay off your debts. Live within your means. Save for retirement. Have an emergency fund and a food supply. Carry enough insurance. Have guns for safety and protection. Don't listen to the fear mongers and conspiracy theorists.
Finally someone with some sense
Old 07-03-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman

Normally would nvr disagree with u except for one problem. My boss has personally made millions investing in precious metals. Now that said unless u personally have the said metals with u to barter with they are useless in a crashed system. Me, I keep food, water and enough guns and ammo to get me out of civilization lol
Old 07-03-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

I'm sorry I brought up the subject of money and trying to be careful about not spending it all. Have fun then with your build then

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-03-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by irongate
I'm sorry I brought up the subject of money and trying to be careful about not spending it all. Have fun then with your build then

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Yea went way off subject. Lol.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precious metals are used to protect purchasing power. There is good reason why countries and now a state (Texas) have repatriated and are repatriating their Gold from the US big-banks over the last 7 years. There is good reason why China and Russia have increased gold reserves dramatically over the last 7 years

Humble pie will be eaten....

Godspeed.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Precious metals are used to protect purchasing power. There is good reason why countries and now a state (Texas) have repatriated and are repatriating their Gold from the US big-banks over the last 7 years. There is good reason why China and Russia have increased gold reserves dramatically over the last 7 years Humble pie will be eaten.... Godspeed.
In 1933, gold was worth $26.33 per oz. Today, it is worth $1167.80 per oz. That is 44x higher.

That is pretty good compared to inflation (loss of purchasing power of the US Dollar) because things cost about 18x more today than they did in 1933. Things that cost more than 18x generally have more features and benefits.

Money invested in the Dow 30 stocks in 1933, with dividends reinvested, is worth 4,400x higher today.

Money invested in a good mutual fund in 1933, with dividends reinvested, is worth 11,000x higher today.

Owning well run companies, with pricing power, is the best long term protection of purchasing power.

Owning commercial real estate with those kinds of companies as tenants is the best intermediate term protection of purchasing power.

Owning precious metals really only protects purchasing power during short term panics that are inflationary.

I understand your concerns, but reason and logic will prevail over fear.

I do this stuff for a living. I have two masters degrees related to these subjects and eight professional designations. I teach finance, banking, financial markets, and investments as an adjunct professor. I have 24 years' experience in financial, tax, business, and investment planning.

Buying a silver coin for $22, when the silver is worth $16, and the resale value of the coin is $12-$14, only protects the purchasing power of the coin dealer, not the investor.

Quick Reply: $8k budget