Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

$2000 for functionality

Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2000 for functionality

I have a 07 2 dr X with 33" swampers, 16x10 rims, and a 2" budget boost. now i need to move from washington state to chicago and i have about $2K saved up for mods. since i will be pulling a trailer i am wondering what mods you guys would suggest to make my trip more enjoyable and easier on me / the jk. now im looking for bang for the buck, not being cheap but not willing to drop it all on one item. i thank you for your help and look forward to you replies. thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 01:31 AM
JK Jedi

Do you still have your stock wheels/tires? If so I would slap them on, will make your trip much more enjoyable/efficient and save the tread the swampers. Other than that I can't really see the need to mod specifically for the trip. Maybe just make sure you trailer hitch and all involved with that is up to the task.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

i agree with you, i should have been more specific its not just for the trip. im wanting more mods in general because i love improving my jeep, im just wondering if anyone with more experience in the jeeping world could point out how i can make my jk all around improved. with the little that i have done its well - capable of the offroading that i do but with the lack of power at highway speeds with the 6 speed and 33's im not looking forward to driving 2400 miles with a trailer at highway speeds im a jeep that decelerates in 6th gear without a trailer. thank you
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wyliecoyote84
i agree with you, i should have been more specific its not just for the trip. im wanting more mods in general because i love improving my jeep, im just wondering if anyone with more experience in the jeeping world could point out how i can make my jk all around improved. with the little that i have done its well - capable of the offroading that i do but with the lack of power at highway speeds with the 6 speed and 33's im not looking forward to driving 2400 miles with a trailer at highway speeds im a jeep that decelerates in 6th gear without a trailer. thank you
What gears do you have? That would probably offer the best bang for buck improvement. Air intake and exhaust would help some, but wouldn't be a huge boost.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the stock 3.21 gears in it now. i was thinking about dropping 4.56 gears in it but a friend told me that he thinks thats too big.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wyliecoyote84
i have the stock 3.21 gears in it now. i was thinking about dropping 4.56 gears in it but a friend told me that he thinks thats too big.
It is probably the upper limit, but it might be ok to offset the extra size/weight of the 33" swampers. I'm sure even 4.10's would help you out. However, switching to 4.10/4.56 gears would not be cost effective if you know you're going to go with bigger tires down the road.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

I am in Lacey wa and I have a set of wheels and tires off my 07 Sahara 18"s with only 15K. I will sale you for 350.00 then you can save your money and get gears once you get down there. You will probably save that in gas and tred on your tires.

then sale them for your money back

Last edited by extremejeeper; 04-05-2008 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default rocket

I would take the 2000 and buy a rocket pack and attach it to the top of the jeep, should take care of the deceleration in 6th. Or if that isn't an option, airbags could be put in your suspension for reasonable cheap and a good set of tires.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need the $2K just for fuel at the rate it's going!

If you ever think you might add bigger tires, gears will be a must. Now may be the time to do it, or just save the $$ till then. It would also be a good time to add locker(s) if you plan to 'wheel it much.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with gears as well, I have yet to see your jeep and live in Everett as well. I can suggest a couple of people i know to get them installed as well.

Quick Reply: $2000 for functionality