Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

$1500 to spend on mods

Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by profebill
Doesn't sound like you go off road much because then you would know what you need. Just saying. Practical best suggestions based on experience are
1/ rear bumper and tire carrier (you WILL end up ruining your rear tailgate) and the rear hits on ledges.
2/ spiderweb shade full package. AMAZING! But, is your jeep soft top or hard top? I can't tell from my phone. Is it auto or manual? If soft top get shade.
3/ if auto you seriously need to consider an auxiliary oil cooler. HUGE difference!
4/ maybe you should consider a headlight upgrade, we are handicapped in this area.
5/ regearing and lockers, you aren't reaching your potential without it. And it will save your ass when needed.
6/ a programmer like super chips or similar. Major difference in performance. Again depending on manual or auto.
7/ a very cheap mod that makes life so much more pleasant in a wrangler is window vent shades. Trust me.
8/ having a practical tool kit isn't going to hurt either.
9/ winch (duh)
10/ snorkel if there is any chance of any water ever. (Heavy rain flooding etc.)
My suggestions are based on my experience driving a LOT in my jeep as a dd and offroad. I don't know if your the kind of person who is able or wiling to work on your own jeep or if you go to the dealer for every bug that lands in your windshield but nobody here will argue thee suggestions. They are almost basic necessities. $1500 won't go far but its easier to buy cheaper things than expensive so if you have it now go with the most costly option. Easier to save up $500 or whatever later on.
Thanks for the info! I should have stated this earlier. I do a lot of offroading but ive only had my jeep for about two months now so ive been hitting all the mild/begginer trails and i want to step up to the moderate trails soon so im trying to see what i need in order to tackle those trails! And im the kinda guy that only works on his own jeep! I already have a tool set, wont need a snorkle because i "try" to stay out of water, also im going to regear when i upgrade from my 33'' to 35" I will look into a programer though. Any that you recomend?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

My suggestion would be superchip for programmer, worked real great when i had it for my 09'
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Given what you're running now and where you want to go...(35s/gears/lockers, etc)...I'd go tire carrier/bumper and an aux trans cooler. The stock carrier won't hold up to the 35s and once you pop those tail gate rivets, the only way to repair is a new tail gate. Doesn't really improve your offroad cap, but a good first step. On an '07 auto...definitely get an aux trans cooler for off-road. The fires associated with the 07/08s have been trans oil overheating, boiling fluid thru breathers on to the manifold. This will keep your rig cooler when in L offroad and will help with what you do now and what you'll build in the future.

Going from 33-35s, like you said, I'd save/wait and do gears, lockers and programmer together, because they all compliment each other. On the auto with 35s, you'll want new lower gears to keep your RPMs sane, lockers since you've got the pumpkins ripped apart to do the gears, and programmer to correct the speedo, axle ratios, auto shift points, etc... Not having D44s front/rear, I think your lowest safe gear ratio is 5.13...I don't think you can go smaller in a D30. <--fact check that, I'm not a gear guy but remember it being said.

With $1500, get a good bumper/tire carrier, aux trans cooler and maybe a snatch strap--put the rest toward tires/gears/lockers.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of this! Also he is correct, you don't want to go any lower than 5.13s In a Dana 30 because the teeth get too small and are more prone to easy breakage..
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

I would go with a winch. I don't wheel in large groups, and use it nearly every time I go out now. The more comfortable you get the funner stuff you will try, and the bigger chance you have of getting stuck.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

What size and brand winch?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

I went with a Recon 10.5k waterproof winch. Has never failed me, but if I were to do it again(knowing how much I use it now) I would have gone with a Warn.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recomendation, Warn 9000 or bigger if you go for a winch. You should really consider gusseting your C's if you havent already done that.

Rob
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you go wheeling from Tallahassee? I remember a lot of sandy stuff down by the coast and a lot of clay/mud stuff up by the city and up into the north (up north from Capital circle) and down Crawfordville highway to the south. Just remember that you will probably find water - even if you don't look for it - out there and without all the elevation changes or rocks a new rear bumper for clearance might not be your first choice. If you don't mind a 3 hour drive there were a lot of places between Panama City and Pensacola (around Fort Walton, Destin and just to the west). I am pretty sure there are some guys from that area on the forum here that can tell you what mods have worked for them and which weren't as necessary due to the terrain (or if you want to head to the Ocala/Bushnell/Orlando area lots of stuff used to be down there too). Absolutely get a winch before going out too far into the woods down there, getting stuck in some of those mud pits is terrible if not prepared.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 AM
JK Junkie

Ive gone down to ocala hardrock a couple times and ive been in alabama too

Quick Reply: $1500 to spend on mods