Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

$10k to spend...

Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matto0
j33p4life has the right idea, my first question is what do you plan to do with it?

To JPop's point 2012's have a better engine and gearing (Auto's) but I'm not sure its the end of the world like he lets on. I'm keeping my 09. That said you do get a smoking deal through USAA so you may at least want to check that out before making a final decision on a jeep.

Good luck.
I'm looking at used prices for a JK Rubicon and seeing $20k or more. Meanwhile you can walk to the dealer lot and buy a new one for $30k. If I'm reaching into my wallet today, no way am I buying used. 4.10s and a Pentastar would probably keep me happy all the way up to 37s. I can forego the 10k in mods for a year while I weed through all the free and low cost mods thread I might have a taste for. Then there is the $2-3k I am going to save in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle with better efficiency.

Anyway, just my opinion and as cool as it is having a modified JK a stock one with a Pentastar is pretty damn capable.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Correction: Nitto Mud Grapplers <--- You guys caught it

In general, this vehicle would hopefully not be a daily driver as I hope to have a company car Therefore, my intent is that it would be more of a weekender, family vacation, and occasional wheeling (We live in Wisconsin).

If I got a 2009 or 2010, do you all think 35s would be fine with the current gearing?

Would 35s fit with the stock suspension, or would a lift be required?

I had forgotten to mention the Smitty Built XRC Armor in the front and rear as well.

Any other suggestions with the current budget in mind?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

I would say I have to agree with JPop. Don't get me wrong, I love my 07 and I have thrown a ton of money at it but I bought it before the 2012s were out.

I'm pretty sure that after having been deployed for a year you have a pretty good little stash of money. Deployed to Iraq twice myself. I remember how much I had saved up. Granted I was single.

I would have to think really hard about not buying a 2012 Rubicon. Actually, I would not think hard about it at all. I would do it. I spent a ton of money on performance upgrades. You won't have to do that. You can go straight for the lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, and armor. And your JK will still perform well and you will not have had to spend the 7K I did on all of Ripps Mods.

FYI, My local credit union gacve me a better deal than USAA and I have been with USAA for 17 years.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
I'm looking at used prices for a JK Rubicon and seeing $20k or more. Meanwhile you can walk to the dealer lot and buy a new one for $30k. If I'm reaching into my wallet today, no way am I buying used. 4.10s and a Pentastar would probably keep me happy all the way up to 37s. I can forego the 10k in mods for a year while I weed through all the free and low cost mods thread I might have a taste for. Then there is the $2-3k I am going to save in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle with better efficiency.

Anyway, just my opinion and as cool as it is having a modified JK a stock one with a Pentastar is pretty damn capable.
agreed. When I bought through USAA I got my 2011 JKU Rubicon for $30,500 which is less than what the dealer was asking for the used 2009's and 2010's. Jeeps have great resale value but I'd stay away from used personally for cost and you never know what the previous owner did to his rig.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

I'm running a 2007 X on 37's. All year long with stock 3.73 gears. Finally busted a front shaft a couple weeks ago. I have 3 boys and enjoy running the trails without worry of scratching a shiny new jeep.

While the new 3.6 is a better engine I don't think you would see as much benefit as a weekender or trail truck (can't drive very fast on the trail anyways...). Also if you have young kids like me and take them on long trips to cool trails it is nice to know they are not destroying new interior.....

Starting with a rubicon you are half way there (4.10 with lockers). I would do:

Tires and lift
super-chips
front bumper (necessary for winch)
winch (necessary for safety)

If I were to splurge it would be on the tires, my 37" MTR's on a teraflex long arm kit have allowed me to keep up with fully locked rigs on some pretty great trails this year even with open carriers.

Whatever you do good luck, thank you for your service and enjoy your jeep.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by agent00latin
I am considering buying a used JK Rubicon (preferably no older than 2008), and I am hoping to have about 8-10K left over in money to spend on modifications. Assuming the Rubi is stock, what all would you guys suggest in terms of modifications that would fit this budget?
Thus far I am thinking the following:
- 5x 35in tires, Nitto Mud All Terrains
- 5x 16in wheels, Atx Artillerys (black)
- Suspension lift, but how much? If 35s can fit on stock, I prefer no lift
- Stubby bumper
- Winch
- Other ideas?

Please let approximate cost so I can start ball parking this in my head. The purchase will be made when I get back from this deployment.
Thanks!
You mentioned you prefer no lift -- I'd suggest a minimal lift (even with the stock 32" tires) such as the OME kit which extends the down travel about an inch. The ride and handling are good. The stock drive shaft, brake lines, etc. are no problem with only an inch of extra down travel. Total for the OME was $880 with springs, shocks, adjustable track bars and links at Northridge.

Regarding used vs. a new 2012, I was on the fence with that decision myself. Of course used is less expensive, but what swung me was not being able to get a factory service maintenance manual for a 2012. Around 2010 they stopped making them available on CD or printed, it's a on-line fee based subscription only.

Best of luck,

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: $10k to spend...