Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

$10,000 Driveline build.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $10,000 Driveline build.

I've tried contacting different distributors and shops to get some insight on planning a drive line rebuild, but haven't really received anything other than, go to our website pick out what you want.

I'm looking replace all the weak spots under the jeep. I'm currently running a stage 2, 4" lift on 35" KM2 and happy with that part. I'd like to replace the axles, shafts, etc, to have a solid no worries setup. The JKU is a 50/50 trail/DD rig, so I want to cover both. I'm looking to get the maximum amount of parts and labor done for the 10K mark. I got this jeep on preorder in 07 as first batch JK. Before all the shops even had parts for it, I did the newbie thing and spent to much money on unnecessary things. After breaking some things the wife didn't like this "lifestyle", like everyone's wives on here, I'm sure. After going back to stock (She called the shots) I started building up slowly with used parts. After having a shitty deployment with some long term effects, I was told to get into a hobby that I enjoy. Wife is on board (Although she thought an xbox would be a better investment, I hate video games) so I'm here now trying to do it right once.

I'm looking for honest world insight on this and a buy sheet type recommendation. Of course D60s on coil overs would be everyone's answer, but I want to stick to a upgraded basic package for what I'm currently doing. Mid level rock crawling, Mud if I end up getting stationed in a non rock area and daily driving.

My rough plans so far:

1) D44 front and rear (PR44 or G2 or etc)
2) 4.88 or 5.13 gears (Off road power and MPGs??)
3) Lockers (Front vs rear vs both, Elocker is what I was thinking vs Air)
4) Inner Shafts upgraded and seals
5) Upgraded drive shafts F&R
6) ...

I kinda stop there, but I know I'm missing vital components that should be addressed. Please give me as much information as you can, as if you were building this rig yourself with your own money. I'm willing to throw a jeep rebirth party/Welcome back party with free food and beers for all who can help out.

Matt
Currently in HV, ASTAN.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your built axles front and rear will cost about that alone if not a bit more. You may need to budget for the drive shafts as an additional cost.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am pretty sure you havent contacted us

We are happy to help.

PM me your email address and I will send you over what I recommend and a quote

David
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by medbender
I think your built axles front and rear will cost about that alone if not a bit more. You may need to budget for the drive shafts as an additional cost.
I though of this, and part of the plan was to just go with Rubicon D44 take offs and build from there.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you REALLY wanna stay under 10 grand, and are sticking with your current wheels/tires, then you could do a junkyard axle swap to D60s and/or 14-bolt, coilovers, and driveshafts for around 10 grand. But only if you're going to be doing the labor yourself. This is my current route...
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It all adds up so fast. The D44s should be good for moderate stuff. I'm looking at the Rock Krawler Max Travel 2.5" kit. The axel shaft upgrades would be nice but not necessary from the start. The lift, a D44s, plus wheels and tires will put you beyond the your budget I'm afraid.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I've looked around and found someone selling a Rubicon front and rear 44s with 5.13s and lockers for about 3500. Might go that route and just clean up all the small things along with it through a vendor.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Call northridge. They can sell you everything you need and tell you the best thing to do.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

X1000 call Northridge ... They've built 2 jeeps for me and handle most of my friends.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't understand why he needs anything other than Dana 44s. The stock ones should be fine with 35s though. Most JKUR guys run 37s with no problem. You want a front Dana 44 and build both, regear, axle shafts, and strengthen the housing with some pound in sleeves maybe. If you went that route you could get more for your money. That's only if you plan to stay on 35 or even 37s

Quick Reply: $10,000 Driveline build.