Notices
Modified Gladiator Tech The ultimate forum to get the latest news, updates, and discussions on the 2019 Gladiator!

Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Old 03-10-2022, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time coming, and I'm finally exploring the region of Tasmania I have been looking forward to most of all.
With a name like "The Road to Nowhere" I couldn't resit exploring the famous Western Wilderness Road in the most remote region of Tasmania.With very little traffic, genuine mountains, wild coastline and virtually no development, this is the perfect place to roam wild for a few days.

In my latest video I bring you along for the journey, and even teach you about some famous Aussie food for fun!

-Dan
Old 03-17-2022, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I'm loving the wilderness on the West Coast of Tasmania, and set out to tackle the Sandy Cape Track - known for it's river crossings, beaches and quicksand (yes, really).

It did not disappoint, and is maybe the highlight of Tassie for me!

In this video I tackle what is easily the longest river crossing I've ever attempted -

-Dan
Old 03-24-2022, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I strongly believe suspension should be the LAST upgrade on any overlander, and in my latest video I run through the whys of what I've chosen.
After months of planning and research, I just upgraded the suspension on my Gladiator.

It's impossible to choose the correct suspension package without knowing the weight of your vehicle, and you can't know that until it's complete.

Getting this right has completely changed how my Gladiator handles on and off road.

-Dan
Old 03-31-2022, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

With my Dad as stunt driver we drove back up into the Victorian High Country to tackle over 30 river crossings in a single day on the famous Crooked River Track.
The river zig zags back and forward while the old mining exploration track basically goes straight, crossing the river every hundred yards for a handful of miles.

This is the kind of adventure I dreamed of when I came to Australia, and I'm so happy Dad and I did it together.
I'll never forget this one as long as I live.

-Dan
Old 04-08-2022, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

After Tasmania I swung back through Dad's place and together we worked on a ton of little fixed, improvements and changes to the Gladiator setup and camping/overlanding gear.

These little tweaks make life on the road so much more enjoyable, and most importantly more convenient.
That means I spend more time each day enjoying my trip, and less time setting up and tearing down camp - which is super important to me.

-Dan
Old 04-14-2022, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

After the fixes and adjustments to our gear in Dad's Shed we hit the road again, and made it as far as Robe in South Australia.

This place is famous for it's baech driving and massive sand dunes, and now I know why!

We spent a couple of days driving south from Robe to Beachport - in the huge dunes, on the beach and in the smaller dunes just back from the ocean.
It was incredible, and a lot more adventure than I bargained for.

It was great to get the Jeep stuck a few times in the deep soft sand a get a feel for how it behaves, and how hard it is to get unstuck (really not bad) - even though it's big and heavy.

-Dan
Old 04-21-2022, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

We've moved West to what is virtually the center of Australia East to West - I saw a sign that said Perth was 2000kms West and Sydney was 2000kms East. (about 1250miles each way)

Over here we've now moved directly north into the red center, and tackled Goog's Track, where we had to cross 363 sand dunes as we moved through the barren desert.
This is an awesome "warm up" to our Simpson Desert crossing that will be coming in a few weeks where we'll be WAY more remote for WAY longer.

Goog's Track was a whole lot of fun, and I wish it had lasted longer!

-Dan
Old 04-28-2022, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

People often ask me what do you really 'need' to go overlanding, and for a long time I've always thought the most important thing is a srong reason to get out there.

WHY do you want to get out remote and explore?

Maybe it's fishing, hiking, hunting or learning new cultures and languages.
Maybe you just want to buy mystery meat on a stick in a random street market for fifty cents and enjoy.

Whatever your reason, that is what will drive you to find better sleeping solutions, tolerate the bugs and the cold nights and get up before sunrise simply to enjoy it.

As you know, I'm a hot spring nutcase, and that was originally my reason to explore Canada and the USA in my first Overland vehicle.

Now I've taken it to another level, and I paid a visit to the only Radioactive hot spring in the world.

The water coming out of the ground here is heated by the decay of Uranium, which none others are.

It was a rough, hot and dusty adventure, and it was worth every second.

Checkout my latest video for all the adventure:

-Dan
Old 05-07-2022, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

We've been out exploring the Flinders Ranges for the last week.

This wilderness National Park has hiking, 4x4ing, aboriginal rock art, tons of wildlife and absolutely stunning Rocky Mountains, canyons and dry river beds to explore.

It's starting to feel like we're getting "Australia remote" now!

-Dan
Old 05-12-2022, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

Australia has been experiencing unprecedented rainfall, which is causing massive flooding in many parts of the country.

Tens of thousands of homes have been lost.

Even in the desert there is way more rain than usual, and we got stranded for days waiting for one of the famous outback tracks to open.

I fully expected the Oodnadatta Track to be hot, dry and dusty - and I was utterly wrong!

We went out the minute the road opened and found plenty of slippery mud pits to keep us busy, springs, friends and plenty more.

Less than 24 hours later they closed the road again because it was too bad.

Checkout the latest video over on YouTube to see all the fun.

I knew Australia would be an adventure, but as usual it is not the adventure I bargained for!

-Dan

Quick Reply: Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me