Notices
Modified Gladiator Tech The ultimate forum to get the latest news, updates, and discussions on the 2019 Gladiator!

Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Old 12-30-2021, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I just drove a couple of the most iconic tracks in the Victorian High Country - and WOW!!
Billy Goat's Bluff and Blue Rag Ridge are both ridge line track that go directly up into the alpine and do not disappoint.
In my latest video I show you what the stunning scenery looked liked, explore the break over angle of the Gladiator a bit more (i.e. scrape the belly) and get the most out of the High Country.

Jump over to YouTube to see the whole episode:

-Dan
Old 01-12-2022, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

I've always felt that when looking at an overland vehicle build and trying to learn from it, the actual WHAT of a given modification is not really that helpful. Sure someone decided to add product X, but the really useful bit is WHY they added that - what is the benefit? How does it improve the vehicle? What are the tradeoffs and why that one instead of another brand or another way to solve the problem or meet the need?

So for that reason I've posted a video with all of the WHYS of my Gladiator build - not just WHAT I did, but getting into the WHYS.
Hopefully you can learn from what I've done, and apply your own reasoning to meet your own needs.

Obviously what I've done is good for me here in Australia, but I fully expect people to adjust accordingly for their own needs and to travel where they want to!

-Dan
Old 01-20-2022, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago we hopped a ferry down to Tasmnaia - the huge island state that is 40% UNESCO world herritage wilderness and National Park.
This place is incredible, and to really kick things off we just spent nine days in the wilderness completely self-supported.
I honestly had no idea Tasmania had wilderness and mountains like this, and it was utterly breathtaking!

In my latest video I show off the scenery, our camp and cooking setup, the food we cooked, the facilities along the way and a bunch of other random stuff!

-Dan
Old 01-21-2022, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Pretty nice country Dan from a guy that punched a gum tree over in WA desert. Definitely an adventure but guess there is not much wheeling in Tazzie?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Pretty nice country Dan from a guy that punched a gum tree over in WA desert. Definitely an adventure but guess there is not much wheeling in Tazzie?
Oh, there's plenty of wheeling in Tassie, but I wanted to get into the Wilderness that doesn't even have roads!

-Dan
Old 01-27-2022, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

In my latest video I showcase the stunning Tasmanaian wilderness as we finish off our 100km (60 mile) wilderness hike over nine days on the Overland Track.

People often ask why I built an "Overland Rig" to then spend so much time on foot.

For me, an overland vehicle is just the delivery method to get into the adventures I want to have. Maybe it's hiking, hunting, fishing or surfing. Maybe it's even wandering a street market in the Congo, or poking lava with a stick in Guatemala.
Whatever the adventure, my vehicles take me there, and I continue to explore and enjoy myself as I jump out of the drivers seat and explore the world around me.

We all have a different goal in our Overland Journeys, and mine is usually to explore as far and wide as possible. When there are no roads, that means going on foot!

-Dan
Old 02-10-2022, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I've been exploring the WILD east coast of Tasmnaia, and it's utterly breathtaking.
This place is truely stunning, some of the best bang-for-your-buck scenery I've seen anywhere on the planet!

-Dan
Old 02-17-2022, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

I've been exploring Bruny Island off Tasmania - yep, that's an Island off an island... off an island

I finally got the Gladiator onto the beach for the first time, explored stunning forests and beaches and had a great time!

The house on wheels Gladiator continues to perform really well, and every day on the road is getting more and more streamlined as I find a home for everything and get more efficient with every system.

-Dan
Old 02-24-2022, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

As I moved around Africa I interviewed interesting Overlanders that I bumped into - showing their story and what they were up to.

Here in Australia I've decided for a twist on that, and I'll be filming interesting Overland vehicles that I come across, showing the features and interesting bits and pieces that I think make them fantastic for long term overlanding.

To kick off "Overland Rides", I give you

THE CRUSINATOR!!

With a 4.5Ltr V8 Turbo Diesel, 180L (65Gal) Diesel capacity, 100L (26Gal) Drinking water tank, diesel heater, water heater, shower, fridge, freezer and plenty of room to swing a dead cat INSIDE, this thing is a beast of a house on wheels.

The owners are just wrapping up a ten month trip around all of Australia, so you know this vehicle actually works in the real world.

There are a ton of well-thought out features and ideas on this vehicle I really appreciate as a long-term overlander, don't be surprised when a few of them turn up on my vehicles in the future.

Video tour of all the features of this monster out now!

-Dan
Old 03-03-2022, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I've been exploring South West Tasmania, which may just be the most stunning place I've ever explored on the planet.

The wilderness is immense, and there is simply nobody around - it's like having Alaska or the Yukon all to yourself - simply incredible.

I show it off in my latest episode on YouTube:

-Dan

Quick Reply: Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me