Notices
Modified Gladiator Tech The ultimate forum to get the latest news, updates, and discussions on the 2019 Gladiator!

Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me

Old 07-29-2021, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi all,

In today's HUGE YouTube episode I install what I'm calling 21st Century Dual isolated batteries with solar into my Gladiator.

Using a state of the art DC-DC charger with built-in MPPT Solar charge controller, a lightweight Lithium battery and a flexible 100W solar panel, this setup is a huge improvement in every way compared to my Africa Jeep.

If you've ever wanted to learn about dual isolated batteries, and the what/why and how of it all, this episode is for you!

I'm confident this is the best setup on the market for my needs, and I'm already impressed with how quickly and efficiently it's charging the house battery - and I don't even have the solar connected yet!

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

-Dan
Old 08-02-2021, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

On the weekend I installed a Warn Zeon winch into my factory Rubicon front bumper using the Warn mounting kit.
For where I explore as a solo vehicle, I find a winch to be essential, and this option mounts the winch nice and low, meaning it's not blatantly obvious I have a winch, and it's also not blocking airflow into the radiator.
If nothing else, the winch is good insurance against my own stupidity like when I flopped my Jeep in Uganda, and got stuck in slick mud trying to turn around in Northern BC.
The winch kit is a straightforward install that is easy to do at home with hand tools.

-Dan
Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default what a trip!

Originally Posted by Grecy
Hi all,

In today's HUGE YouTube episode I install what I'm calling 21st Century Dual isolated batteries with solar into my Gladiator.

Using a state of the art DC-DC charger with built-in MPPT Solar charge controller, a lightweight Lithium battery and a flexible 100W solar panel, this setup is a huge improvement in every way compared to my Africa Jeep.

If you've ever wanted to learn about dual isolated batteries, and the what/why and how of it all, this episode is for you!

I'm confident this is the best setup on the market for my needs, and I'm already impressed with how quickly and efficiently it's charging the house battery - and I don't even have the solar connected yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-gK0BBxlrI

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help if I can.

-Dan
Have you looked at the cascadia solar hood charger for gladiators? Wonder if that would be a help to keep things charged up too?
Old 08-05-2021, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

I just finished installing a set of Venom LED driving Lights from Lightforce, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the kit and the ease of install.

The Jeep LED lights are already the best I have ever driven with, and these driving lights still add an enormous amount of light.

I mounted them on the front bumper to keep them out of my line of sight, so there is no glare from the hood and so they're protected by the bumper hoop.

With the plug-n-play patch harness provided wiring was extremely simple, and I didn't have to cut or splice any factory wiring which I really like.
(I would prefer not to cut into factory wiring on a brand new vehicle if possible)

These lights push out 1 lux of light at 850meters! (half a mile), so the difference is staggering - I'll post some comparison photos with them on and off as soon as it stops raining!

-Dan
Old 08-09-2021, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

It's been a lot of work on my Gladiator build so far, and I have a lot to go. Of course, it's taking longer than I thought, and covid is messing with my plans.

In this video I give an update, and discuss a lot of the future modifications coming like suspension, an aux fuel tank, a water tank, rear canopy and more!

I had hoped that flying to Australia would get me away from COVID, but it doesn't look that that is the case.
As things sit now, crossing borders in Australia is going to be a lot harder than crossing borders in Africa!

I'll get the build wrapped up and hit the road ASAP and see what happens.

-Dan
Old 08-12-2021, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Steel wheels have a ton of strength advantages over aluminium, and for getting as remote as possible on the planet I would never use anything else.

Something most people don't think about is the laws in different countries around the world. These Mopar Steel wheels will keep my new Yokohama Tires completely inside the guards, which is super important here in Australia so I get to spend my time actually enjoying my trip and not fighting with the authorities!

I'm editing together the install video of these wheels and X-AT tires now!

-Dan
Old 08-12-2021, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Wheels and tire install video is online now, I think they look great and I'm sure they'll give me no problems!

I've chosen to run 285/75R17 tires (33x11.5) for a whole host of reasons I get into in the video.

Given how tough these tires are, I'm confident I'll only need the one set to explore all of Australia!

-Dan
Old 08-16-2021, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

Continuing the build, on this episode I install a CB radio into my Jeep Gladiator.

I've never had one in my vehicles before thanks to what I call "The Ghostbusters problem" (Who Ya Gunna Call?), but here in Australia UHF CB radios are actually mandatory for some of the more remote desert crossings I'm planning.

I spend my time on this episode figuring out exactly where to mount the radio to best meet my needs, then get stuck in!

I'm *still* waiting for a couple of the biggest pieces of this puzzle, though there is forward progress and I'm getting close to hitting the road!

I'd rather get out on adventures sooner (that's the point, after all), so even if I go on a few advenures sort of close to Dad's house during September without the build being 100% complete I think that will be best. Then I'll circle back to Dad's house and finish everything off with a week in the garage before going further afield - if Covid restricitons will let me! Australia is *really* struggling right now, with well over half the population under extremely strict lockdown.

-Dan
Old 08-19-2021, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

Putting branding stickers all over an overland vehicle is a controversial topic, especially for an international trip where safety is a concern.
On one hand it's good to have a vehicle that stands out so nobody will mess with it, while on the other hand it can be advantagoues to blend in as much as possible.​

In this video I run through the pros and cons to branding your vehicle, show you what I've done previously and why, and then show the branding I've decided to go with for my Australian Jeep Gladiator.
Finally, I'll show you how to actually apply them, and the lessons I learned doing so - including a not so successful attempt.

-Dan
Old 08-23-2021, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,
After months of work, I just had a custom canopy installed on the bed of my Gladiator.

The goal is to keep everything in the bed out of the rain, sun and dust, while keeping it extremely lightweight - so it's made of canvas.

In this episode I give a detailed walk through of the pros and cons, and why I've chosen to go this way.

There are a few more major pieces of the build I'm still waiting for, and covid lockdowns here are now severe, which is going to have a very big impact on the trip.
Like my previous expeditions, I will just have to find a way!

-Dan

Quick Reply: Jeep Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me