Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

You won EBC Front brakes! INSTALL

Old 12-12-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You won EBC Front brakes! INSTALL

I was one of the lucky winners of the EBC brakes from Discount Tire and JKF (Thanks again). I finally found some time to install them, so here are some pictures. Very easy to change the brakes in the JK.

First, jack up and remove a tire. Make sure you set the axle back down on a jack stand.

I found moving the sensor cable made it easier for the 21mm socket and 1/2 ratchet to turn. It just swings a little out of the way.

Here are shot of the old pads. They are pretty worn (35900 miles).

Old vs new. The old still has a little life, but not much.

Remove the old pads, but leave the spacing clips. EBC did not supply them. I used long arm clamps to collapse the caliper. You need to do this in order to get the new pads over the rotor. I just moved around the caliper compressing a little at a time.

Install the new pads in the calipers.

Make sure you put the wear spring on the caliper side.

Slide the caliper with new pads over the rotor and replace the 2 bolts. Your done!

I wonder how long those sexy yellow pads will show through my wheels???

Now there is a break in period. The EBC brakes come with a coating to remove the varnish off the rotor. Time for testing.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should add removing the brake master cylindar cap as step 1. This will prevent pressure buildup from compressing the calipers and make it a little easier to compress all of them. Don't forget to put a rag around the master cylinder, you don't want brake fluid spilling everywhere.

Aside from that, thanks!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up! I just finished doing both front and back brakes. I would also add, that you should put some brake grease on the caliper slides and the points where the pads touch the piston and the caliper. It will help prevent squealing and let them slide in and out easier.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

el_campede, Thanks for the writeup, if you would please let us know how they work, mine are still sitting on the shelf waiting for the OEM’s to give out but if there that much better I may have to get off my butt and put them in.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by axsys
You should add removing the brake master cylindar cap as step 1. This will prevent pressure buildup from compressing the calipers and make it a little easier to compress all of them. Don't forget to put a rag around the master cylinder, you don't want brake fluid spilling everywhere.

Aside from that, thanks!
Good addition. I did not check, but I did not press so hard to collapse the piston quickly. That step took about 5-7 minutes. I figured the breather would handle the compression.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

congrats pete

nice write up
Old 12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up!

Have you noticed any better stopping ability with these new pads compared to the stockers? Mine are getting close to needing replaced and was thinking of getting some EBC's.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Update time...

After the first week, I notice a more solid stopping feel. They are still in their break-in period with the varnish removing coating, so I have not done any hard braking.

Snow's comming, so I'll get some good cold testing this weekend.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Bro!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I got some cold weather/snow testing today. Did some wheeling at Rausch Creek. Nice controled feel when I had to slow the front wheels down.

Tonight was another test. I wanted to get back out and just drive around. My wife turned into a hunt for 3 sleds. After being out for 3-1/2 hours on snow covered roads with others (who do not know how to behave on snow), I can say these brake have a great feel cold. Not mushy then apply too much brake and skid feel. They reacted to a light touch with nice controlled stops.

Quick Reply: You won EBC Front brakes! INSTALL