Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Yellow Fog Light Mod with X-Pel Film

Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Fog Light Mod with X-Pel Film

I have always liked a yellow fog light on my vehicles. It just seems to fit my eye better at night and in bad weather. I thought about using yellow bulbs but there aren't many H10 bulbs made in yellow and they are more expensive than this mod.

I found a company called X-Pel that makes headlight protection film. They offer this film in a yellow shade and you can order it in sheets of whatever size you want. Here is a link to the X-Pel page with the film: X-Pel

I ordered a sheet about 6" wide and 12" long. I figured this would give me enough for both lights and enough to do another if I screwed something up. Total cost shipped to me was about $12.00.

Once I got the sheet I measured the fog lights to be about 3.5" in diameter. I wanted the lens film to be just slightly smaller than this so I drew two 3 1/8" circles on the X-Pel film. I used sharp scissors to cut out the circles.

Installation was easy. I just cleaned the lenses with simple green and then wiped them down really well with an alcohol soacked gauze.

I then took the backing off the film and made sure not to touch the sticky side with my fingers. If you do touch it, you will get fingerprints that won't come off.

I simply stuck the circles of X-Pel film on the center of the lenses and pressed outward from the center to avoid any air bubbles. It also helps to do this while the fog lights are on so that the film gets warm and is easier to shape/mold to the curvature of the lens.

That's it! Not only do I now have the yellow color I want, but I also have protection of the lens' from rocks and debris so they won't crack. The website says the film will stop a rock from breaking the lens from 120 mph or something like that. The pictures are below. I will try and take some at night to show the color of them in the dark.

I also plan on ordering some of the clear headlight protection film for my IPF headlight conversion to protect them as well.

Here are some shots of them on at night:

Last edited by 07rubigreen; 11-09-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added more pictures
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Dammit, I was going to be first with that.
Plus, I plan on doing it to the headlights.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

That looks really good, especially with the Rescue Green.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grant211
That is awesome!

So this is basically like window tint going on the outside lens? Can a fingernail scatch it or will it get nicked up with bug splatters?

If at all possible, I would like to see some night picks with the lights on.
A fingernail shouldn't bother it. The material is almost 1 mm thick so it's not just a thin film. Plus if they say it will protect a lens from a rock at 120 mph it should withstand a scratch or bug.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

My wife saw my list of planned mods to my JK on my computer and asked "when will it be done?" Hehe... I just laughed and said "never." Looks like I just added something else to the list.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by utahgoose
My wife saw my list of planned mods to my JK on my computer and asked "when will it be done?" Hehe... I just laughed and said "never." Looks like I just added something else to the list.
OOOOH, don't ever leave that list where the wife can find it, expecially if you have prices on it. I leave mine at work.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooh

that site has a "Headlamp, Signal Lamp and Fog Lamp Kit" for the JK..
in clear, blue, yellow, or smoke..

smoke would look nice on my black jeep.. yes.. yes it would.

But x2 on seeing pics of your yellow at night.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great find and write up 07rubigreen!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
oooh

that site has a "Headlamp, Signal Lamp and Fog Lamp Kit" for the JK..
in clear, blue, yellow, or smoke..

smoke would look nice on my black jeep.. yes.. yes it would.

But x2 on seeing pics of your yellow at night.
If he doesn't, you'll see mine soon. With headlights. Then it will really look like a frog. Or leezard.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

I love the look on Rescue Green... I'm there!
Do you have any pics with the lights on? How does it effect the quality of the light when driving?

Quick Reply: Yellow Fog Light Mod with X-Pel Film