Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Wiring a 3rd Brake Light w/ Swingout

Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Glad to help!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the detailed write up. It really helped me this weekend to have this on my iPad while working on the jk. Only problem i have left to solve is seating that piece of foam in the right spot. Any words of wisdom?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mwbmorley
Thanks for the detailed write up. It really helped me this weekend to have this on my iPad while working on the jk. Only problem i have left to solve is seating that piece of foam in the right spot. Any words of wisdom?
If you pull it all the way out you will see the orientation that it goes with the hole in the tub. Sort of an oblong, boomerang, guitar pick shape. That's my only advice.
I only removed the foam to get my arm up inside of there.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write-up I just came inside frustrated with this same problem. I have the LoD tire carrier and just gave up for the night. Tackle this tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job Jocky. Good to see you took the time and effort to make it work......
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Lesson learned from a similar wiring I did a while back, running the wiring between the body and bumper is not a good idea. The body will move and flex differently than the bumper and if enough flexing occurs, it can damage/cut the wires.

You are better off to drill a small hole in the bumper and use a grommet to give it a clean look to run the wiring through.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great idea!
I will do this when I run my CB antenna and reroute the license plate.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Heyyy there… 👋

Originally Posted by revolucion!
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!

perfect timing! i was planning on re routing that wire (or just ditching the 3rd brake light). thanks for taking the time and sharing your install. this is exactly what i needed.
I’m only here to learn about this because, after 2 years of owning my Rubicon, I just got pulled over for not having a 3rd brake light. 😒 js…. Might wanna keep it. Lol
Old 11-02-2023, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by LMT_79
I’m only here to learn about this because, after 2 years of owning my Rubicon, I just got pulled over for not having a 3rd brake light. 😒 js…. Might wanna keep it. Lol
Welcome to JKF. They certainly started cracking down on that in Texas a couple years ago. It used to be nbd but i think 2 years ago the very lax car inspection guy I go to said nope, they absolutely won't approve without 3rd brake light these days. I wonder what happens to stuff like this in 2025 when they stop requiring safety inspections due to the legislation recently passed.

Quick Reply: Wiring a 3rd Brake Light w/ Swingout