Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

window storage option

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked on Cabela's web site and found some really nice fishing rod holders that also looked like a good option. They are padded on the inside and come in 6" diameter and various lengths. What are the demensions of the windows rolled up? I'm looking for the minimum length it would need to be.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

This is an excellent idea. I noticed the thread was started in 2007, any better ideas since then?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

All rolled up in a pipe....Good idea...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is the best material to wrap the windows up in? I'm assuming you actually put something between the windows right?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went to the fabric store and bought some fleece to store the windows in. My wife sewed it up with three pockets, one for each window then made a nylon bag similar to those fold up chairs only larger to stuff them in. Fits perfectly under the back seat with no problems. The windows unroll and form back into shape pretty easily. Cost $35 and about 20 minutes to do.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

It's just the side windows. The rear would make it too thick I think. Plus it's easier to just roll it up still attached to the top.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Long Term Storage

I had a Bestop soft top for my YJ and would roll my windows (all from side to side) in 4 layers of towels purchased at Wal Mart. I used the largest bath towels (2) for either side of the rear window and the smaller bath towels (2) for the side windows. All were rolled up as one unit and secured with cinch straps (I wasn't smart enough to think of the tube). I would store them over winter (5 months) while I had the hard top in place and never had an issue with form or fit when I took them out the following Spring and put the soft top back on.

Important item: To keep the windows from getting that haze caused from micro-scratches, clean them with water or cleaner before removing them to remove all dust (abrasive). I siimply used a trigger-pump spray bottle filled with tap water and would spray them down until water was running off, then wipe and dry them everytime I took them off. I kept my windows scracth free and clear for years that way. When I traded my 93 YJ with it's 12 year old soft top (purchased in '97) they couldn't belive it was that old and asked me how I kept the windows looking so good. (My YJ was purchased by one of the salesmen.)

Just traded up to the JK and only have the hard top for the time being. I'll be "tubing" it when I switch to a soft top again.

Thank you for the excellent idea. What a forum.

Last edited by fuhrworries; 08-19-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by packrat213
I just looked on Cabela's web site and found some really nice fishing rod holders that also looked like a good option. They are padded on the inside and come in 6" diameter and various lengths. What are the demensions of the windows rolled up? I'm looking for the minimum length it would need to be.
how much were the rod holders?
I was going to buy the PVC pipes today, but then it occured to me to check out the ski store for a snowboard bag, it was perfect, and under $30.

here's some pictures,

I use old sheets to put between the three windows,

the rear window bar is still attached to it, and the I position the two side windows to form a T with the rear window before I roll them.

You can find snowboard bags online for about $25.

It all fits in the trunk of a 4 door or lying on the back seat or the rear footwell.

You might also be able to use an old shotgun or rifle case, if it's wide enough. It just didn't seem worth the $100 for the bag mentioned somewhere else on this thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Just in time for summer. good write up.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Home depot no longer carries 6" pipe, gotta go to a lawn sprinkler store

Quick Reply: window storage option