Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Viair 400H ( 400C) torture test - Small compressor > Big results

Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited do you know if the tank mount will play well with the electric sway bar disconect ?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:18 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Bear
I am very excited do you know if the tank mount will play well with the electric sway bar disconect ?
No conflict at all. Not even for rotated motors.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Great news And thanks for the valuable testing and feedback on the Viair compressors.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Viair's Constant Duty kit, which has the 450C compressor. How do you think that one would stack up considering its a 100% duty cycle? And where does the air tank mounting kit go on the Jeep? I've been looking to relocate my tank...
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
I have Viair's Constant Duty kit, which has the 450C compressor. How do you think that one would stack up considering its a 100% duty cycle? And where does the air tank mounting kit go on the Jeep? I've been looking to relocate my tank...
The 400 puts out 2.12 CFM at 20 PSI
The 450 puts out 1.41 CFM at 20 PSI

I'm of the opinion that the 400 represents a better solution for filling tires. The 100% duty cycle compressors certainly have their place though. If you're running an air horn, or running power tools for longer periods of time off of an air tank, the 400 would cut out much faster than the 450. Different uses drive different solutions.

The new tank location is just behind and beneath the radiator. Here are some crappy pics from THIS THREAD (these are prototype brackets):

Brackets before the tank is installed
Old 03-02-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice! I really didnt want to put my tank underneath the Jeep, so this is perfect! And they are available now?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
Nice! I really didnt want to put my tank underneath the Jeep, so this is perfect! And they are available now?
They start shipping next week. Buy them HERE
Old 05-16-2010, 07:27 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Torture test part duex today.

This one was a different and done for the guys who have been concerned about how the 400 series compressors will run after being in a hot engine compartment. For this test I really turned up the heat. Here's the test.

After a 2 hour drive from the desert.

I set out to repeat the following steps over and over again until the thermal protection kicked in on the compressor. Fill the 2 gallon tank to 145 PSI, drain the tank to zero and repeat. I figure this is the compressor running at an average of about 110 PSI, which should really kick it's butt. I defined success for this test if it would run continuously for 20 minutes in this manner. This given I was pleasantly surprised that it ran for a total of 54 minutes. Again, the 400 series compressor kicked ass. This is the same 400H that I've used for all of my testing.

As far as tire fills are concerned, I did gather one piece of data today. If I fill the tank to 145 PSI and turn the compressor off, the tank will fill one tire from 9 PSI to 18 PSI.

Last edited by Woods; 07-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the great info.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default 400 C gone bad

I installed a Viair onboard system in April of this year. The compressor is mounted inside on top of the rear fender well of my unlimited. There is a 2 gallon Viair tank mounted underneath the Jeep. The system worked well for four months and stopped. I thought the pressure/regulator switch had gone bad, but as it turns out, it was the compressor. I don't think four months is much of a life span for a compressor mounted in a clean, relatively cool environment. I've got a replacement on the way so I'll see how long this one lasts. If it's a short life, my next compressor will be an ARB.

I am editing this post as it is not accurate. The pump did not fail. When the pump quit working after several months, I only got a buzzing noise from the regulator/pressure switch. I thought that the switch must have failed and replaced it. The pump still did not work, and as it was the only other component I thought it had failed. I checked voltage on the wiring at the pump and it was 12.8 volts. I pulled the pump out, and several days later hooked it up to a fully charged battery and it worked. I thought that perhaps the angle at which the pump was installed had affected operation, but on the bench it worked at all angles. I reinstalled it in the Jeep, and rechecked voltage on the wiring and it was 12.8 volts. After hooking everything back up, I got the same buzzing from the r/p switch and the pump did not work. I then ran a ground wire from the battery to the pump with no change in results. Next I ran a separate power wire from the battery and everything worked. Checked voltage again and it was 12.8. I decided to check the wiring at the pump and went to pull the fuse out of the power line at the battery. After pulling the fuse, I noticed corrosion on one of the legs of the fuse. I thought it was strange, because the fuse holder was well sealed. I cleaned off the corrosion and reinstalled the fuse, and everything worked normally. Voltage reading at the pump was unchanged, but the corrosion on the fuse seems to have cause the problem.

Last edited by Ricktrr; 07-12-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: accuracy

Quick Reply: Viair 400H ( 400C) torture test - Small compressor > Big results