Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to do this when I get a little closer to buying a trailer. Thanks for the write up.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel much better about doing mine now, thanks for the write-up
Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm on the band wagon (been for about 1 year). I use the Aeroforce gauge to keep an eye on things. Transmission runs MUCH cooler now.

Attachment 25533

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up! I just installed this tonight and I also have a dumb question about what kind of tranny fluid to use. If the dealership was open I just would have gone there and bought the mopar brand but had to go to AutoZone and the only thing they had was a tranny fluid that said Dextron VI but it said it's approved for GM cars. Anyone know if that will be okay in my jeep?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Wal Mart sells the Mopar trans fluid, white and blue bottle.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blazer4949
Wal Mart sells the Mopar trans fluid, white and blue bottle.
Nice, I should have gone there instead and bought that. But my big question now is: Will I be okay if I put in half a quart of the "Dextron VI approved for GM cars" in with the Mopar fluid that is already in there? or did I make a mistake and need to drain out all the fluid to replace it with all Mopar. I don't want to mess anything up in my tranny for putting in the wrong fluid but I'm just not sure if its so wrong or If it will be alright? Any mechanics out there able to tell me if I messed up and if I didn't put in the right fluid would I have messed anything up in my engine by driving around a bit?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Freak

ATF+4 ONLY get synthetic, should be about $6 quart, you will mess up your tranny if you put the wrong fluid in, not your engine....even a half quart can mess up tranny causing it to not shift right

Last edited by tkob1060; 06-15-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
ATF+4 ONLY get synthetic, should be about $6 quart, you will mess up your tranny if you put the wrong fluid in, not your engine....even a half quart can mess up tranny causing it to not shift right
Damn, now what? I guess I should drive it to the dealership to have 'em change the tranny fluid instead of trying to do it myself since they can flush most of it out right? I wouldn't have messed up the tranny to bad if I only put 1/3-1/2 of the bottle in and drove it less then 5 miles right? Please tell me I'm right. I should have known better then letting my non-jeep friend talk me into getting that stuff.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SLCJK
Damn, now what? I guess I should drive it to the dealership to have 'em change the tranny fluid instead of trying to do it myself since they can flush most of it out right? I wouldn't have messed up the tranny to bad if I only put 1/3-1/2 of the bottle in and drove it less then 5 miles right? Please tell me I'm right. I should have known better then letting my non-jeep friend talk me into getting that stuff.
I am not sure how 1/2quart will affect it, but I put the wrong fluid in my 92 cherokee and had to flush it and change it about 4 times after to get it to shift without slamming into gear or slamming when I got on it. It didnt ruin the trans but it sure as hell wasnt good for it. I'd get it flushed where they replace all the fluid if it were me again lol. I do believe it was the same fluid you got that I put in mine back then but I put in 3quarts after changing the oil.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I am not sure how 1/2quart will affect it, but I put the wrong fluid in my 92 cherokee and had to flush it and change it about 4 times after to get it to shift without slamming into gear or slamming when I got on it. It didnt ruin the trans but it sure as hell wasnt good for it. I'd get it flushed where they replace all the fluid if it were me again lol. I do believe it was the same fluid you got that I put in mine back then but I put in 3quarts after changing the oil.
Thanks for the replys. I hope the dealership doesn't charge to much for a transmission fluid change. Hmmmm

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler