Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kerryp
Have you noticed if your engine temps have gone up since you installed the unit in front of your radiator? That is my biggest concern. I have had my cooler for a little over a month and have been trying to decide whether to install it in front of the radiator or not. It gets real hot here in the summer and I'm not wild about blocking air to the radiator. The unit I bought does have an electric fan on it, so that should help, just don't want to force more hot air through the radiator fins especially on trail rides when you driving slow and things tend to heat up more.
I have not yet installed a tranny cooler yet, but it should actually help the engines cooling system as well. From the factory the tranny oil runs thru the bottom of the radiator cooling the fluid and raising the water temp. Cooler running trans from the aux cooler = cooler trans fluid running thru the oil cooler portion of the radiator. Yes it will indeed raise the air temp of air flowing thru the radiator, but it shouldn't be enough to off set the benefits of cooler trans fluid.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by overmanjh
I have not yet installed a tranny cooler yet, but it should actually help the engines cooling system as well. From the factory the tranny oil runs thru the bottom of the radiator cooling the fluid and raising the water temp. Cooler running trans from the aux cooler = cooler trans fluid running thru the oil cooler portion of the radiator. Yes it will indeed raise the air temp of air flowing thru the radiator, but it shouldn't be enough to off set the benefits of cooler trans fluid.
The oem transmission cooler isn't part of the water cooling system as in the past. It is mounted low and in front of the engine radiator.

When I installed the aux transmission cooler on my '08 JK, I saw no increase in engine temp, or change A/C performance.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-04-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Great idea!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else have coolant come out at the cap on their initial drive and get all over the passenger side lower? Can't really understand why that happened. Drove it for 6-7 miles and returned home, added about 16oz of ATF+4, and noticed the coolant spray. Any ideas? ( BTW, no leaks at any of my clamps
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NVW-SSV
Anyone else have coolant come out at the cap on their initial drive and get all over the passenger side lower? Can't really understand why that happened. Drove it for 6-7 miles and returned home, added about 16oz of ATF+4, and noticed the coolant spray. Any ideas? ( BTW, no leaks at any of my clamps
Sounds like something isn't hooked up right to me.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Supechips shows transmission at 150* F, and engine coolant steady at 90*C. I hooked up my lines to the Top hose, and they show no leaks. Also, I used the diagram on p.19 or 20 of the thread.....top hookup of cooler to left (passenger) side and bottom to right (driver) side of the cut.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How much tranny fluid did you add after the cooler install? I was supposed to see mine was a little overfilled from the factory and didn't need any additional fluid.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I added about 16oz but the coolant splash was before I added that. Will take another drive after work today and see if it happens again.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NVW-SSV
The coolant splash is unrelated to the transmission cooler installation. The two systems don't come together at all.

If you have normal engine temp with coolant coming from under the properly installed radiator cap, replace the cap.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Replaced radiator cap and no problems since. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler