Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished installing my cooler today. Ran a log on my diablosport at stock and with the cooler and it dropped my temp by 23 degrees. Here's the charts of the results:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3043039431.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	327425   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1057327471.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	327426  
Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install help

Got my B&M cooler about six months ago. Summer's here and I'm finally getting around to the install. I installed my cooler horizontally with the fittings coming in/out on top because I have a mopar hood lock that wouldn't allow me to install like op. My question is this: when installing the cooler in the horizontal position with fittings at the top, does it matter which way I attach the hoses? I know I want to cut the top (return) tran line just like op but which is inlet and outlet on cooler and does it matter when both outlets are on top? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
Got my B&M cooler about six months ago. Summer's here and I'm finally getting around to the install. I installed my cooler horizontally with the fittings coming in/out on top because I have a mopar hood lock that wouldn't allow me to install like op. My question is this: when installing the cooler in the horizontal position with fittings at the top, does it matter which way I attach the hoses? I know I want to cut the top (return) tran line just like op but which is inlet and outlet on cooler and does it matter when both outlets are on top? Thanks!
I did mine the same way. From the factory "cooler" to the driver side and return to the transmission on the passenger side. Haven't have any problems in a year and and half.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcarr261
I did mine the same way. From the factory "cooler" to the driver side and return to the transmission on the passenger side. Haven't have any problems in a year and and half.
cool, thanks for the response. Since the fittings on the cooler itself are not marked with "inlet" or "outlet" I suppose it doesnt matter when the cooler is mounted horizontally. Still, I'll follow your lead since it's been working for you
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finished the installation this morning. All in all it was pretty easy. It would have been much easier had I done this mod before getting the 4.5 inch lift. My knees are going to be sore for some time after kneeling on bumper for so long Also, would have been faster install without a winch installed. Now, i'm waiting to hear back from superchips to get the transmission temp read update to my flashpaq so I can monitor the trann temp. Thanks to the OP for a thorough write-up and to everyone else who has chimed in to help
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Superchips trans temp feature works well & it's free! Very handy.

My B&M cooler is still doing its job after over 2 years.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so it's been about 2 weeks since I installed my cooler and I just went for the second drive with it installed and I checked my fluid level after getting it hot and in neutral. The fluid was reading just over the cold holes. I added a half a quart when I installed the cooler. How much have you guys added?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Ok so it's been about 2 weeks since I installed my cooler and I just went for the second drive with it installed and I checked my fluid level after getting it hot and in neutral. The fluid was reading just over the cold holes. I added a half a quart when I installed the cooler. How much have you guys added?
That's about right. half just enough to fill up the cooler.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

How many of you are using a Thermostat before your B&M trans cooler?

I have temp gauges in my transmission pan and oil pan. I live in a cold climate and found that during cold ambient temps I was running between 110 and 140 degrees. Thats way to cold for the tranny. I had to install 180 degree thermostat to keep the temp up on cold days. I bet there is alot of people who have installed coolers but have not installed temp gauges. On a side note my engine oil temp was running way to hot at highway speeds (235 degrees at times) should be between 180 and 200. This was because a have a aftermarket skid plate that blocks the cooling on that pan. I have taken it off and it ran 30 degrees cooler. Just and FYI to anyone interested.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LloydX-mas
I live in a cold climate and found that during cold ambient temps I was running between 110 and 140 degrees. Thats way to cold for the tranny. I had to install 180 degree thermostat to keep the temp up on cold days.

I'd like to see some technical data to back up that statement.
Temperature has a direct effect on fluid life; the higher the temp, the shorter the life. The 42RLE is electronically managed to reach 80°F, where normal shift scheduling commences. I just can't see 100°F being bad for the fluid.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler