Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrdtyme

i changed my radiator cap from that stock piece to a new locking aftermarket type and it fixed that steam leak. i thought it was water or rain to but it was not.now i don't get anymore unwanted steam try this and let me know if this fix works?
I just noticed the same steam yesterday. I'll have to give it a try. I thought I blew a hose, opened the hood and nothing.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrdtyme

i changed my radiator cap from that stock piece to a new locking aftermarket type and it fixed that steam leak. i thought it was water or rain to but it was not.now i don't get anymore unwanted steam try this and let me know if this fix works?
What's the brand and where did you get it? Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
I recently noticed that the lines I cut for the new tranny cooler are fine but the remaining factory line is leaking/weeping. Its not a lot but its def something that I want to fix what do you guys think would be the best way of going about this? Its coming from the factory flange but I know that they aren't going to touch it at the dealership since I modified the rest of the system. Any ideas?
I have the same problem. What is the best course of action here?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JKagermeister

I read somewhere that there is a kit that replaces the factory flange, but im not sure where it was. I read it somewhere I'm a thread on the forum. Try a google
search for it.

I plan on doing a tranny cooler next weekend. I'm going to get the autozone one. I don't remember the brand, but have seen more and more people going with them. They are the same price as the B&M. I hope I don't have any issues with the flanges like you guys!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

I wound up cutting off the factory flange and used compression fittings on both ends, it's dry as a bone now.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wound up cutting off the factory flange and used compression fittings on both ends, it's dry as a bone now.
Great, thank you. How did you cut the lines and were you worried about the shavings getting in at all? Also, what compression fittings did you use? I thought a special tool is required for those?

I was just thinking of hose clamps and cutting the lines with a hacksaw (if I could get one in here.) If you could share a picture that would be helpful.

I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the above post... I used a small tubing cutter to cut my factory metal lines to prevent any metal shavings finding their way into the system. If you remove the plastic brackets that hold the factory lines together there is plenty of wiggle room to work the tubing cutter and you'll have smooth clean cuts.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! This is what I will do as well when I get all of the hardware and the cooler. Thanks for the solution!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Great, thank you. How did you cut the lines and were you worried about the shavings getting in at all? Also, what compression fittings did you use? I thought a special tool is required for those?

I was just thinking of hose clamps and cutting the lines with a hacksaw (if I could get one in here.) If you could share a picture that would be helpful.

I appreciate the quick reply.

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
To the above post... I used a small tubing cutter to cut my factory metal lines to prevent any metal shavings finding their way into the system. If you remove the plastic brackets that hold the factory lines together there is plenty of wiggle room to work the tubing cutter and you'll have smooth clean cuts.
What he said is basically what I wound up doing.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I read somewhere that there is a kit that replaces the factory flange, but im not sure where it was. I read it somewhere I'm a thread on the forum. Try a google
search for it.

I plan on doing a tranny cooler next weekend. I'm going to get the autozone one. I don't remember the brand, but have seen more and more people going with them. They are the same price as the B&M. I hope I don't have any issues with the flanges like you guys!
Green,

Have you read the posts on the ORW Transmission Cooler? We have put together 2 kits using quality products and tried and tested parts. Here is the post we have in the "Sponsoring Manufacturer & Vendor Forum":

Re-Advertising The ORW JK Automatic Transmission Cooler Kit

WE ALSO HAVE A MODIFICATION THAT ALLOWS YOU TO MOUNT THE TRANSMISSION COOLER WHEN USING THE RIPP TURBOCHARGER

Version 2.0 of our popular JK Cooler Kit. This version is easier to install and comes preassembled. Rubber mounts included to protect cooler from vibration damage. Kit comes with unique flareless bite type fittings. Optional stainless steel hose available.

We have been working on a JK Automatic trans cooler kit for some time now and we finally got it dialed in!

When the transmission gets too hot a warning light comes on and the motor goes into limp mode (does not go over 50mph and NO overdrive). It scares the hell out of you when you're in the middle of nowhere! Also, at low speed the trans can hunt and not shift proper. After installing this cooler kit, the transmission has worked flawlessly.

Key Features:

1. OEM quality stack plate cooler (used by GM, FORD, Chrysler for trans and power steering coolers on HD models). 11''x11''x1.5'' 96 plate 25,000 BTU/HR, used in off road racing and extreme street applications, made in Mexico By Long Mfg. (NO Warranty for cross threading or cracks at the fitting, caused by improper installation of fittings.)

2. Series 8000 Push-Lite Race aluminum fittings by Fragola, all fitting supplied for complete install, made in USA.

3. Push Loc Race hose by Parker, made in USA

4. No hose clamps required on Fragola Push-Lite Race fittings with hose supplied and factory JK hose.

5. OEM VW rabbit radiator mounts, any cooler this size should be rubber mounted to minimize cracking and fatigue (DO NOT use any other mount, like MB-00-9259-0). Made in Germany, with 6mm Nylock nuts

6. ORW mounting brackets (part# 55723) 1/8'' steel, precision water jet cut, all mounting holes and bent to fit, can be sold separate to be modified to work with other coolers, Made in USA

7. Grade 8 1/4-20Bolts, lock washers, and 1/4-20 Rivet Nuts (drill to 25/64''), parts included with bracket kit Made in Canada, USA, and Taiwan

8. Split loom for covering the hose. Please completely cover lines end to end, makes for a real clean job and protect the hoses from being chafed. Made in USA

9. Oil cooler can be bypassed with FRA496106BL fitting, sold separately. Made in USA

10. Shop tools and supplies needed:

Drill with 25/64'' drill bit, (or 10mm Uni-bit works).
Tool to install 1/4-20'' Rivet Nuts.
Teflon Tape
Tie wraps
1'' ID split loom

Part Number:
ORW3110711

Our Price: $259.99
Free Shipping

PM, E-mail, or Call for more information or to place an order.

John

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler