Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What do you mean by "have it on at all times"? I'm not aware of any transmission coolers that can be turned on and off by the driver.

Sounds like the transmission couldn't take the supercharger.
DIDO!!

Anyone know what size fittings the hose ends to the radiator are??? I would like to find a way to not cut the factory hoses and add the cooler. I like to do stuff the hard way for the following replies that say just hack the lines..LOL
Old 11-10-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a switch that turns on a aftermarket cooler for the tranie just wastn sure if it needed to be on everytime im drving. i thought only when off roading or rock climbing. i bought the truck like this
Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elad617
i have a switch that turns on a aftermarket cooler for the tranie just wastn sure if it needed to be on everytime im drving. i thought only when off roading or rock climbing. i bought the truck like this
I might be thick headed, but by turn on do you mean turn on a fan on the aux cooler or do you mean you have a switch to open a valve to run the transmission fluid through your aux cooler?

Just as a matter of practice I would have the cooler working all the time, but I would save the fan till I was offroading, towing or climbing big hills.

You can get a transmission temp gauge to help you decide when to use the fan. Look at Aeroforce Interceptor gauges.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

truck has a cooler and a fan the fan i can turn whenever i want
Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by elad617
truck has a cooler and a fan the fan i can turn whenever i want
that makes sense the switch is a fan switch on a trans cooler when you are going slow and not moving enought air you turn it on. No need for highway driving, its just there for crawling around with no air flow..
Old 11-10-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I knew someone wouldn't like the word "hacked" when I wrote it.
The dealer will see the line as having been hacked.
I'm pretty sure they have to turn in the parts replaced under warranty.

But then, we just never know how the dealer will react to things the owner does.
Yeah they probably do have to account for the parts. Probably the area rep. checks them over.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paratus13
...so here is my write up:
Great write-up paratus! Did mine this weekend. I went with the B&M 70264 (11 x 5.75 x 1.5" - 14,400/BTU) model. I managed to finish up and snap one shot after the rain stopped and before the sun went down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bm70264.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	239473  
Old 11-22-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ludski
just ordered cooler. cant wait to get this done and out of the way!

Me Too!

Finally got this installed this past weekend.

I went with the ORW model.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Idiot Light?

I'm getting ready to add a trans cooler to my Jeep in the next month or so. In the mean time, I had a question about the idiot light... Is it an actual light on the instrument panel? or perhaps a warning that shows on the LCD? I have an 08 that was flashed for this, and yesterday I got a "ding" from the dash just like the one I get for low tire pressure, but nothing lit up. Any suggestions?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernigoober
I'm getting ready to add a trans cooler to my Jeep in the next month or so. In the mean time, I had a question about the idiot light... Is it an actual light on the instrument panel? or perhaps a warning that shows on the LCD? I have an 08 that was flashed for this, and yesterday I got a "ding" from the dash just like the one I get for low tire pressure, but nothing lit up. Any suggestions?
When the transmission overheats, it will ding and show Hot Oil in the odometer.

The ding you got for no apparent reason is probably the "mystery ding" that seems to be common to the JK.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler