Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmanaz
GREAT ARTICLE!! I'm a total newbie when it comes to mechanical subjects. This helped me out alot!!

Another question though: Do we know what type of tranny fluid comes from the factory in the JK? If I do this mod, is there any damage to putting in tranyy fluid that may be different?

Thanks!!
Yes some of us know because we read our owners manual because we spent 30k+ on our jeeps

you can even download a pdf searchable version of the manual from jeep.com
http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

here is the fluid types for your jeep
Automatic Transmission Mopar ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid

just has to be ATF+4 can get it at any auto parts store, and yes it will cause problems if you dont use the right fluid
Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write up! Thanks!

Can you tell me what type of gauge mount this is ?

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by hunter0781
Awesome write up! Thanks!

Can you tell me what type of gauge mount this is ?

Thanks again!
It's the Auto meter cup gauge mount, I have the same set-up for my gauges but also have a VOLT gauge as well. I went with a different make of cooler and a sealed electric fan and then fabbed up the mounts... it works and no more mytery ding.....
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

I just finished the cooler install. Thanks for a great writeup, it helped me a great deal. I installed the B&M Gauge, and it works real well, however, I cannot find out where I need to run my wire to so I can light it up! I figure it needs to be with the dash lights, can you help me please.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the great writeup paratus13. I finished mine over the weekend. I too used hose barbs from HD as I thought the ones shipped with the cooler were bulky and would have been a tight squeeze. Also, the 3/8's connectors seem to have a larger diameter than the included barbs.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks Paratus13!

Great write up. Thanks for making my install easier. The first time I read your write up I ordered the B&M cooler.

I installed mine this weekend. Just got back from the test drive. Nice and dry! I do a lot of slow crawling up in the Rockies and I am sure this will extend the life of my tranny!

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

If this is such an issue, why isn't there a factory option specifically designed for these vehicles?

I am wondering if there is any issue with evacuating air from the system or does the transmission simply push fluid through the cooler once you start up the Jeep?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kflash
If this is such an issue, why isn't there a factory option specifically designed for these vehicles?

I am wondering if there is any issue with evacuating air from the system or does the transmission simply push fluid through the cooler once you start up the Jeep?
The auto trannies have a pump for the fluid so there will not be any air in it. The only people that are having problems from what I have read is modified jeeps witout regearing or offroading in 4hi. I am getting ready to put 35's on and I am going to put this on.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikesjk
The auto trannies have a pump for the fluid so there will not be any air in it. The only people that are having problems from what I have read is modified jeeps witout regearing or offroading in 4hi. I am getting ready to put 35's on and I am going to put this on.
I did this to both of my JK's - neither was modified and both were running very hot (before the cooler), as far as Transmission temps go. Mods or no mods, this problem exists. As you may have read, this problem may be the cause of the fires in the AT JK's, most of which have been stock and driving on paved roads.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default Do not use the brackets!!!

I appreciate that these directions were posted, and they were very helpful in my install, I agree with everything in this post except for the whole bracket mounting recommendation. Due to the advice all over this thread, I started with the whole brackets are way better mis-conception. So I bought some black spray primer and paint and spent the first half of the day priming and painting the brackets and bolts black. After the paint dried, I started mounting them in my 08' Sahara Unlimited. First off the mounting holes on the top part of the jeep were very difficult to access and the holes were too small. I took out my drill and made the holes a bit bigger. Then I had to cut two of the bolts down about 1/4" shorter with my sawzall and vice as they were to long and wouldn't fit otherwise. After about 45 minutes of struggling I got the two top brackets mounted only too find that I couldn't quite get the cooler level, and the fact that my radiator is at a slight angle and I couldn't get the spacing quite right. And it looked TERRIBLE. I then came the realization that the zip straps that came with this thing are SUPER heavy duty, and the cooler weighs next to nothing. Plus the zip straps are plastic and won't rust, and I can put it anywhere on the radiator and get it to align up perfectly. But you say, there is no air gap, so it won't work well. That's where I came up with my own mod... Even though it comes with four 1/4" spacers, I wanted a full 1" of spacing. I made the trip to my local hardware store and found the steel spacer bin. I bought four 1/4" diameter by 1" long spacers. I brought these home and painted them black (I wanted to by nylon spaces, but they didn't have any at my hardware store but I have seen them before). Next, I placed the cooler where I wanted it on my radiator (flush), I worked the four zip straps to the other side of the radiator. I then removed the straps and pushed them through again (but sideways) to make the holes a little bigger. Now this is where it get's a bit tricky... One by one you need to go from the inside of the hood out to the front with the straps and the radiator fan tends to be in the way for one or two of the straps. No big deal, still 100% easier than the steel brackets and it looks 10x better... Once all four straps are on the other side, place one spacer on each strap and then put the cooler on and then fasten the straps down with the plastic strap nuts and cut off excess strap after tight. It's more secure than you would ever need and looks great (I will upload pictures soon, but I didn't finish until after dark). Other than that I highly recommend everything else on this thread, especially getting the 3/8"x3/8" hose barbs as there is very little space and they work perfectly. Also the amount of hose that comes with the cooler is perfect. I even had an extra 4" of tube left over!

One other thing, no need to buy Mopar brand ATF+4 Synthetic Oil. I got a quart of Valvoline brand (what Mopar uses) at my local auto shop for way cheaper than the dealership!

Last edited by tpthaler; 04-08-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler