Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 07-23-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
Like to see a pic of a dealer installed mopar cooler see how it compares in size and placement to my install.
I will take a few pics today, Right after I return from my warranty service at the dealer for the small water leak onto the front passenger floorboard.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cfr
In 4hi or 4lo?
I was in 4Hi when this all happened, and what I believe is that I should've been in 4Lo, or completely turned off the ESP in 4Hi. (ESP button held in for 5 seconds) I felt that the jeep was probably fighting it's self in 4Hi due to the ESP actually activating, If you notice when you activate 4Lo ESP is fully off. It all made sense to me, and I was not really operating the vehicle the way I should have. When the alarm went off I turned on the A/C put it in park for about 10 min, checked my tire pressure, I put it in 4Lo with the A/C on, top down, and had no problems leaving.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmcc

Looks good... How is that mounted - with zip ties? Clean look
Yep I just used the ties. I figured they have been mounting these coolers like that for years so I said the hell with it.,..so far so good
Old 08-14-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did you install the cooler/fan behind the grill?
If so...
Is the fan in front?...or between the cooler and A/C condenser?
Behind the grill with minor trimming to plastic with the fan between cooler and condenser. Its been 100+ for over 50 days here in Texas and A/C is as cold as it was before install.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfr
Part number? Pics?
It was B&Ms largest one with a thermostat switch and fan built inn. Just look up B&M supercooler, and as far as pics go not much to see with grill on. I should of took pics while doing install.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Transmission cooler - what are the benefits of the transmission cooler ? Can someone explain this whole process to me ? Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey214
Transmission cooler - what are the benefits of the transmission cooler ? Can someone explain this whole process to me ? Thanks
Sure helps keep sandwiches cool while wheeling out on the trails.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey214
I'm no mechanic, but lucky you, I bored so here's the basics.

Auto transmissions pump their fluid, usually, through a portion of the radiator to cool it and maintain proper running temps. When the transmission is working hard, i.e. shifting often, towing, rock climbing, etc, temps climb and the engine radiator is working primarily to cool the engine coolant which is also running hotter during these conditions. Tranny cooling becomes less efficient.
A aux cooler is simply a separate radiator for the tranny fluid, normally mounted in front of the engine radiator. It is almost always included in a vehicles "tow package", the JK is the exception of course.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ConroeJK
I'm no mechanic, but lucky you, I bored so here's the basics.

Auto transmissions pump their fluid, usually, through a portion of the radiator to cool it and maintain proper running temps. When the transmission is working hard, i.e. shifting often, towing, rock climbing, etc, temps climb and the engine radiator is working primarily to cool the engine coolant which is also running hotter during these conditions. Tranny cooling becomes less efficient.
A aux cooler is simply a separate radiator for the tranny fluid, normally mounted in front of the engine radiator. It is almost always included in a vehicles "tow package", the JK is the exception of course.
That's good, except, you neglected to say the JK OEM transmission cooler isn't in the engine radiator. It's in the lower portion of the A/C condenser, in front of the radiator. The OEM cooler is too small, and not in the main air flow through the grill.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-14-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

finally ordering one up and getting it in this week.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler