Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock 07 JK unlimited with auto and 4:10 does the same thing. Not so much in the rain, but when I drive it through the Hydraspray wash. After the wash when I begin to drive out I get the steam thing. My needle also never goes beyond the mid point of the gauge. Once I was sitting at a stop light during a very misty rain, and it began to steam. My radiator is clean both front and rear.
Was just looking at the coolers on Summit Racing and I think I too will install. Looks like you did a good install, and thanks for both the pics and info. I do have one question though.
What do you have the top brackets mounted to? Looks like they are just wedged up against the top support.

Last edited by Lorrel; 05-09-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

the steam coming off the radiator and cooler when it rains is normal, even mentioned in your owners manual....its just another jk jeep thing
Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

some interesting reading here

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques123_0.html
Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
top brackets mounted to? Looks like they are just wedged up against the top support.
Great question.
I'm doing this mod tomorrow and would like to get all my ducks in a row first.
Still great write up and makes even me feel confident doing this.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I traded a Merc. Grand Marquis for my JK and when I got the Merq a cabbie told me if I wanted to keep it for very long to change the trany fuild to synthetic and get it changed out and the filter every 30k miles. I did and it was still running great at 110k miles. The dealers always thought I was nuts getting the fluid changed. I'll do the same with my jeep.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sent a PM to the OP.

But, I thought I'd throw it out to you guys as well.

Why, use the 3/8" x 3/8" hose barbs from Home Depot? I am curious why not use the barbs that screw together that came with the kit. Installing it the OP's way, using the barbs that don't screw together, seems to alleviate a chance of leaking where they both connect. I am just curious. I will be installing mine tomorrow. I bought the barbs from HD. I just want to make sure I am not supposed to use the supplied barbs.

For ID purposes, here are pics from my phone of the barbs that came with the cooler:

Thanks!!!!!

-Chuck
Old 06-05-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up this will make the job a lot simpler.

I called our local Parts store (Advance Auto Parts) And they can order one and have it in their store the next day. It was 49.00 plus tax. I look on varies web site to order one and they all charged a handling charge plus shipping so with the parts store it was a lot cheaper.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
GREAT ARTICLE!! I'm a total newbie when it comes to mechanical subjects. This helped me out alot!!

Another question though: Do we know what type of tranny fluid comes from the factory in the JK? If I do this mod, is there any damage to putting in tranyy fluid that may be different?

Thanks!!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chukronos
Why, use the 3/8" x 3/8" hose barbs from Home Depot? I am curious why not use the barbs that screw together that came with the kit. Installing it the OP's way, using the barbs that don't screw together, seems to alleviate a chance of leaking where they both connect. I am just curious. I will be installing mine tomorrow. I bought the barbs from HD. I just want to make sure I am not supposed to use the supplied barbs.
The supplied barbs worked just fine for me. They are a little longer but I had no clearance issues and they are leak-free.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cadmanaz
GREAT ARTICLE!! I'm a total newbie when it comes to mechanical subjects. This helped me out alot!!

Another question though: Do we know what type of tranny fluid comes from the factory in the JK? If I do this mod, is there any damage to putting in tranyy fluid that may be different?

Thanks!!

Fluid type should be listed in the owner's manual. Some newer transmissions are really picky about fluid type. I'd get the stuff from the dealer in the recommended grade. I wouldn't think you'd have to add more than a quart.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler