Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when installing just make sure the hood latch will clear it. mine was rubbing so I took off the latch and let the dremel skinny it up.. no more problems..
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Due to the heating & cooling, you need to tighten the house clamps after a few days of use, then you'll be good to go.

You do not NEED a cooler with a fan because the oem fan will pull air through the cooler. But extra fans can never hurt. Or, you could add an override switch to control the oem fan.

When I was done installing mine I got the jk hot enough that the fan came on at the low speed (there are two fan speeds), and man does that thing move air. Then the other jk got his fan to come on at high speed, wow!
i have a question about the fan overide switch, couldnt a superchip just change the temp it comes on to a higher temp and wouldnt that keep it from turning on? would that be the same as another seperate switch instead
Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 AM
JK Freak

Where is your gauge sensor located?

I think we would benefit greatly by using our oem fans. I successfully did this years ago with one of my motorcycles. I'm just wary of tapping into the very computer controlled jk system. But ideally, I'd be able to turn on or off my fan while allowing it to also work like stock. I would turn it on during long, slow crawls in extreme heat. I'd turn it off before entering a water crossing.
The AreoForce gauge plugs into the OSB port of the JK . The cooling fan would probably work better if the cooler was mounted flush with the condenser,but that inch or two gap seems to make a difference. My fan is a 7.5" Spal pusher #30100393 rated about 450 CFM and I have it wired through a toggle switch. I can turn it on when I'm traveling slow. Its good insurance and not a costly install about the same price as the cooler.

Last edited by Rhino64; 03-25-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Use a flat plate cooler. Remove grill and install cooler using bolt holes in top radiator frame and strips of metal about 2" X 3/8" X 1'8" , 2 each. Bolt each strip to the frame holes and to the holes in the cooler frame. Use strips about 4" long for the bottom supports. They should reach to the bottom metal frame and be bent at 90 deg. Sheet metal screw the strips to the lower frame. The cooler should be about 3/8" from the radiator so when the elec fan is on it draws air through the cooler. Have the hose nipples pointing down and connect hose meant for transmission duty, it takes the heat, to the metal line returning to transmission from the stock cooler. Routing should be through the stock cooler then through the added cooler. Lowered my oil temp coming out of the trannie from 275+ degrees when crawling or long usage in 1st or 2nd gear, to 210 or less, ususally around 175. If oil gets to 200 deg, turn the a/c on low and the cooling fan comes on and cools the oil down. Hose nipples on the plate type cooler can be pointed down with no ill effects or loss of efficiency. Hose routes under the radiator easily.

Last edited by grayfox4x4; 03-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's all good except for one extremely important point: the aux cooler can be mounted one of three positions: hoses pointing left, right, or TOP, but NOT DOWN. According to B&M, that severely reduces the cooler's efficiency.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got mine in today. Mounted it a little different. 2 hours total time for install.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I
My KJ was worked VERY hard for years. 90k miles. And ONCE, the summer before I sold it, after a full day of wheeling at Killington, VT, the tranny light came on during the drive to the hotel. I left it running as per owners manual, until it went off. Took about 15 minutes. Tranny slipped a few times about a month later. I took it to the dealer who said "tranny is shot. rebuilt is $1500. do it now!" I didn't think that was right, so I took it back, and CHECKED THE LEVEL and it was about 1/2 pint low! I filled it and never had a problem again for the 4 months before selling it for my JK.
I had the same experience with a 69 DeVille convert. It was slipping in low and reverse. Tranny shop said $2,000 rebuild. I changed the fluid & filter and never had another slip. Needless to say, I'll never use that tranny shop even if I do have a real problem.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
Is this picture right as far as the cut and connection of the Aux Tranny Cooler?

So is this the right way to hook it up
Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any advantage to the b&m 13,000 btu model over the 14,400 btu model? For a $10 difference I would get either which is recommended?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rhino64
The AreoForce gauge plugs into the OSB port of the JK . The cooling fan would probably work better if the cooler was mounted flush with the condenser,but that inch or two gap seems to make a difference. My fan is a 7.5" Spal pusher #30100393 rated about 450 CFM and I have it wired through a toggle switch. I can turn it on when I'm traveling slow. Its good insurance and not a costly install about the same price as the cooler.
I'm not questioning you, but the other day I put my hand in front of my grill when the fan came on, and I could feel it pulling a good deal of air in. If it's pulling it in that forcefully at the grill, why would a 1" gap make a difference?

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler