Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Dang it, you beat me to it! I just picked up an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge from a guy here on the forum. That gauge is worth the money, even full price. You need would need at least a dozen individual gauges to monitor what this one gauge does. So in reality the Aeroforce is cheaper, by a lot! The best part is it truly is plug and play, no oil lines to tap into, no electrical work, absolutely a great piece of kit for the jeep.
EXACTLY! and I was reading through the specs last night (in anticipation for its arrival tomorrow) and it even tells you calculated horsepower and intake air temp!!! So.... looks like ill have some REAL info for my ram-air system too!!!! This is gonna be sooo much fun!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Mounting Questions.

Ive been driving around town for a few days with my b&m 70268 and my aeroforce interceptor gauge and I am VERY happy with both!

I originally mounted my cooler on its side and about 3/4 inch from the radiator. Its been around 80 degrees outside this week and today i got the trans to reach about 181 degrees while driving up a slight incline for a mile or so at about 35mph in town. This got me to thinking... when its 100+ outside this summer and my fan kicks on to cool the rad....will having my cooler mounted 3/4 inch from the radiator keep the air from being pulled through the cooler as well as it should if it was mounted right up against it with the zip ties?

The other side of this question is... since the cooler gets really hot during operation... would being mounted right up against the rad make my engine temp go up because of the heat from the cooler being pulled into the engine?

Can anyone tell me whether its better to mount your cooler closer or further from the radiator?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by smallzphoto
Ive been driving around town for a few days with my b&m 70268 and my aeroforce interceptor gauge and I am VERY happy with both!

I originally mounted my cooler on its side and about 3/4 inch from the radiator. Its been around 80 degrees outside this week and today i got the trans to reach about 181 degrees while driving up a slight incline for a mile or so at about 35mph in town. This got me to thinking... when its 100+ outside this summer and my fan kicks on to cool the rad....will having my cooler mounted 3/4 inch from the radiator keep the air from being pulled through the cooler as well as it should if it was mounted right up against it with the zip ties?

The other side of this question is... since the cooler gets really hot during operation... would being mounted right up against the rad make my engine temp go up because of the heat from the cooler being pulled into the engine?

Can anyone tell me whether its better to mount your cooler closer or further from the radiator?
I don't think it's going to effect our radiators ability to cool at all. That trans cooler really doesn't block the air flow that much and I'm not certain the additional heat it places in front of the radiator is that big a deal either. Guys have been running it the location we have it in for a few years now and no one has written a thread about the adverse effects of the coolers placement.

Also, I wondered about this....where is the location of the temp sensor/thermostat that the Aeroforce gauge we are running is pulling from? Is it in the transmission, on a line outside the transmission?? The temp readings will be considerably higher or lower depending on the location of the sensor. The guys running a thermostat in the fluid lines running to or from the transmission itself, have reported temps never getting above 170*. Hell, I've already seen 181*on moderate passing attempts on the hwy, which makes me think the Aeroforce, which is pulling from the OBD 2 port, is originating from the internals of the transmission valve body or something. Thoughts? Anyone?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Wouldnt you want it right from the Trans and not somewhere else? After all thats what we are trying to protect..
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
Wouldnt you want it right from the Trans and not somewhere else? After all thats what we are trying to protect..
That's what I'm thinking, it would be a true representation of what the trans is feeling.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

The aeroforce reads from the stock sensor in the sump. the trans pulls the fluid from the sump so its prob the best place to read from?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Sweet

The aeroforce reads from the stock sensor in the sump. the trans pulls the fluid from the sump so its prob the best place to read from?
That's about what I thought is was going to be reading from and what led me to the slightly warmer temps on the gauge. One other benefit of the Aeroforce reading from that location, and I'm certain you noticed it too, is the quickness of the temp changing on the display. That gauge is simply badass and gives such instant feed back. From what I understand, the analog gauges with pick ups mounted in line near the cooler, show reading changes very slowly.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes, the OEM transmission temp sensor is in the sump. It is part of the range sensor on the left side.

It reads the sump temperature because that is where the pump draws the fluid from.
The fluid can be at other temperature in different areas of the transmission. The sump represents the "steady state" temperature of the transmission and its fluid. (In quotes because it does go up and down, but is the temp of the fluid at rest in the system.)
Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Former Member

After wheeling in the snow and not letting the tranny get to 3rd very often, this has now moved to the top of my list. Sitting still for 15 minutes waiting for HOT OIL to leave me alone isn't fun.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Quadratec light mounts and cooler

Anyone mount B & M cooler70268 with Quadratec light mounts that attach to grill support?Any pitfalls to avoid?

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler